Being one of the Geezer Weezer fans (34yrs old) my memories go back a ways. My older brother whom I looked up to for alot of my musical direction listened to bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Kiss and ACDC. Aside from being very frightened of his Ozzy posters it laid ground work for what I saw as my music of choice. I had been brought up on all kinds of music, from my parents listening to 50's artists such as Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Fats Domino and Motown to the 60's of The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Janis Joplin and Jimmy Hendrix to the 70's of The Bee Gees, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Now obviously being from Nashville I got my fill of all things Country music had to offer as well. My sister listened to all the New Wave of the 80's so I loved stuff from Cyndi Lauper, The Cars, Men at work and all things Mtv but my brothers music seemed to interest me the most. My brother and I would stay up late and watch Mtv shows like Alternative Nation, The Buzz and The Headbangers Ball and listen to the bands that where shaping the music sceen at the time. I remember falling for college rock or grunge music and really gravitating towards bands like REM, Pear Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Pixies, Green Day and of course Nirvana. Nirvana's raw power and lyrics where mind blowing to a fifteen year old at that time. I had just started playing guitar and learning chords and hearing Kurt play and scream his emotions on each song was simply put - WOW! On day my brother mentioned to me that he had heard a band on Mtv that he thought I would love. All he said was that they were dorky looking guys who played a song about a sweater to some heavy guitar riffs. A few night later he woke me up in the middle of the night so I could see the band that changed my life. Weezer was me, different. I went out the next day and bought the Blue Album and listened to every song. It was loud and powerful, catchy and driven and I couldn't get enough of it. I started listening and reading everything I could about the band. I quickly turned all my friends on to Weezer and it soon became the tape/CD we would listen to when we hung out in our hometown. When Weezer came to Nashville and performed at 328 Performance Hall to promot the Blue Album my friends and I were center stage. That Dog played before Weezer and needless to say it was a great show. During their set they had some problems with the guitarists amp so there was a little down time. To fill this time the lead singer did a little strip tease to the crowds delight and the bands bassist who was very short as I remember started playing the bass line to Only In Dreams and the crowd went bananas. So it was time for Weezer to take the stage. The room of less that five hundred stood in the dark as the anticipation grew. Matt, Pat, and Brian took the stage and of to the side I saw Rivers with what looked like a crutch. Now I knew of his leg problems but the crowd saw it as an ala Willy Wonka style move and it kind of felt that way. Rivers left his crutch and grabbed his stickered up guitar and it was time to rock. Being so close to the stage when that iconic =w= lite up was blinding as they opened with My Name Is Jonas. Hearing the Blue Album live was awesome as they played Say It Ain't So, Buddy Holly, and Undone. At one point the room went dark again with what was either a disco ball or a stargazer that twinkled the entire room as the played Only In Dreams. It quickly became my favorite track and remains my favorite song of all time. I associate it with my brother who turned me on to my favorite band. Weezer closed with Surf Wax America and it was a night I wish I could relive just once. Pinkerton was pure heart for me. After reading interviews with Rivers in Alternative Press it was easy for me to see the connection between the experiences he was having and the songs on the album. I took my soon to be wife to see Weezer during this time as they were touring with No Doubt. The show was on Rivers birthday and Gwen brought out a cake as the crowd sang happy birthday to him. Then the off years hit where Weezer took a break and we didn't know if they were done or not. It was not a good time for Weezer fans. Most music forums had writen them off as finished but sites like Rebel Weezer Alliance and weerez.com kept us going until early 2000 when word started to leak that the band was back and working on a new album. Fans rejoice as our band was back and in full force. they released The Green Album with hits Hash Pipe and Island In The Sun was everywhere. Even Mary Kate and Ashley got in on the act using it in their movie Holiday in the sun. Every year my parents threw a block party for friends and family with live music. In 2000 my brother and I played some of our favorite songs including Hang from Matchbox Twenty and an acoustic version of Only In Dreams. My brother had been drinking and while no one was looking he snuck away and got a spare set of keys that we didn't know he had. My mother has been with our towns police dept. for almost twenty years so when the chief of police called my parents house at two in the morning it didn't take my mom long to realize what was wrong. My brother had driven off the road and flipped his truck several times before landing upside down in a storage facility. He died instantly. Just a few hours before I was singing with him and he was holding my daughter who was only a few months old and now he was gone. I didn't know how to feel or act. It was like a bad dream I couldn't wake up from. My daughter would never know him and how much he loved her. They only comfort I could find was in music. Weezer returned to Nashville during the touring for the Green Album in 2001 I think and it was somewhat of a healing show for me. The only part of that show I remember is that they played Only In Dreams. I hadn't heard them play it live since that first show back '94. The crowd was bursting with energy but at that moment I thought of my brother who turned me on to Weezer. Without him I don't think I would have found them and became such a huge fan. With them I don't think I could have dealt with my feeling for the lose of my brother. Pinkerton was there when I had girl problems and there always seemed to be a song I could point to during some event in my life. Now with two daughters ages 10 and 7 and a son who's about to be 4 I make sure to let them listen to Weezer and hope they find someone who can have that kind of impact in their lives as Weezer has had on mine. I hope to take them to a Weezer concert and if the B*********/Memories tour comes to Nashville then they might very well be attending with us. I think my life with Weezer will have came full circle if I can take my kids to see a band that I loved when I was only a few years older than my oldest daughter now. I hope to meet Rivers some day to thank him for what he's meant to me. I'm sure there are others out there that have great memories of Weezer and i'd like to hear them and maybe the guys will get on here and read some of our stories. Thank You and sorry for any spelling mistakes lol!

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most memorable memory was when I saw them live for the first time, June 2, 2001 at the MTV Movie Awards (attended as a seatfiller)... it's funny to think how I "accidentally" got into weezer knowing how much they mean to me now. I knew of them prior, but the live performance totally changed me and I sort of became a fanatic overnight, buying all 3 albums the next day and educating myself on all things weezer.

Later that night when the awards show was over, I ran into Rivers in the lobby and told him how much I enjoyed the show.

... it was a turning point for me, needless to say.
Being an older fan (32) I was a junior in high school when Blue came out. I had just been dumped by a girlfriend of 2 years (which might as well be 20 years when you're 17) and I was depressed big time. The Blue Album came out at the perfect time for me. What Rivers was singing about was exactly what I was going through. TWHTALMH hit home so hard it's still my favorite =W= song. IMO it's the perfect heart break song.

I will always love this band and being a fan from the beginning I admit I have high expectations for any album they release. So if you see some harsh reviews in the future that may give some insight on why.
No...apparently, being 30-35 is old....I'm ancient....
Like me....
I had some old people ask about it and I told them I was a Little Rascals fan.....
First memory when I was 14 and seeing their brand new "Undone" video. I was totally entranced and it was love right away.
I was 13 and my friend was singing Undone over and over in the car but with the wrong lyrics. I never heard it before but after I did later, we wound up listening every day all summer long. Thanks bobo
first saw the buddy holly video in late 97' early 98' (i was 13). i was a little late to the party but i didn't really start listening to music until i was about 11 or 12 and then it was all oldies.
hearing beverly hills in the 5th grade, over and over and over...
undone video. it was just mind-bottling at that time.
i'd sit and watch mtv all day just hoping to catch it...
Apparently I'm a Geezer Weezer fan too (I'm 36)! One of my roommates in college had TBA and said "Hey, your boyfriend looks like this guy in Weezer!" Sure enough, my bf and Brian Bell could have been brothers! I started listening to the CD and haven't stopped loving Weezer since.
I'm not a Geezer Weezer fan like some people here (I'm fifteen), but I've had my fair share of Weezer memories. I started listening to Weezer about three years ago when my cousin (who was a huge part on helping me define my musical taste) was playing No Other One one day when I went to visit him. It instantly caught on to me, so I asked my cousin who was playing. Not so long after that, I bought TBA and Pinkerton. I fell in love with both albums, and listened to them everyday after coming back from school. I started learning to play the guitar by jamming to TBA and Pinkerton songs. Pinkerton helped me a huge deal on figuring out myself and exploring the meaning of true love (as opposed to flings and one week relationships, which was prevalent during junior high). During that time, I listened every Weezer album (except Make Believe) and Weezer became my favorite band.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video