I was reading through some replies on the topic Will Matt Ever Come Back? and I am coming to the conclusion that people do not like Matt Sharp.

They're saying things like he "didn't write any of the songs" or that he was "selfish"...the list goes on.

What are your opinions of Matt?

Tags: matt, sharp

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's because a lot of us don't hate Weezer post-Matt.

Some of us still love what Weezer does.

Blueperton said:

I don't really see how these idiot boardies have developed the mentality that new Weezer (post-Matt) sucks, yet it has nothing to do with the absence of one of the most influential people in Rivers' life.
I actually like Matt I think he is very talented but I have heard the stories as well. I think the problem is that they only see him for things he has done like sueing the band which probably turned people off.. I can see that but his contribution to his bass playing in (for example) the Blue Album is amazing! I think it will be cool to have Matt back in Weezer for the original line up but I think Scott is awesome as well! So all in all I don't hate Matt I just think there are misunderstandings with him and the rest of the band and the fans as well...
The "new weezer" sound does have nothing to do with the absence of Matt. Pinkerton was a complete failure when it first came out and since then Rivers has focused on success by writing Pop songs instead of dark emotional songs like Pinkerton songs. Matt didnt "shape" weezers first to albums in any way (with the exception of the Butterfly suggestion) Rivers has already said in the past that he was a "control freak" when it came to songwriting.
Weezer is 79.8% Rivers Cuomo 20% Patrick Wilson and 0.2% Matt Sharp.

I dont hate Matt, It just annoys me when people treat him like a God

Blueperton said:
Matt IS and forever will be the absolute best part of what Weezer was and could be. There's not even an argument here. I don't really see how these idiot boardies have developed the mentality that new Weezer (post-Matt) sucks, yet it has nothing to do with the absence of one of the most influential people in Rivers' life. Rivers is 60% of Weezer. Pat is 10% and Matt is 30%. Which isn't to say I dislike Brian in any way, he's much better than his alternative. However, I think the next great Weezer album will only become so by adding Matt's influence. Scott is a sorry excuse for a replacement and Mikey was yet another step below that. The world's greatest bands have always become such by having a collaborative songwriting couple. Lennon & McCartney, Jagger & Richards, Wilson & Wilson, Morrissey & Marr, Gallagher & Gallagher, Albarn & Coxon, Black Francis & Joey Santiago, and most definitely Cuomo & Sharp.
Thank you. Stated perfectly.

Indiekid said:
The "new weezer" sound does have nothing to do with the absence of Matt. Pinkerton was a complete failure when it first came out and since then Rivers has focused on success by writing Pop songs instead of dark emotional songs like Pinkerton songs. Matt didnt "shape" weezers first to albums in any way (with the exception of the Butterfly suggestion) Rivers has already said in the past that he was a "control freak" when it came to songwriting.

Blueperton said:
Matt IS and forever will be the absolute best part of what Weezer was and could be. There's not even an argument here. I don't really see how these idiot boardies have developed the mentality that new Weezer (post-Matt) sucks, yet it has nothing to do with the absence of one of the most influential people in Rivers' life. Rivers is 60% of Weezer. Pat is 10% and Matt is 30%. Which isn't to say I dislike Brian in any way, he's much better than his alternative. However, I think the next great Weezer album will only become so by adding Matt's influence. Scott is a sorry excuse for a replacement and Mikey was yet another step below that. The world's greatest bands have always become such by having a collaborative songwriting couple. Lennon & McCartney, Jagger & Richards, Wilson & Wilson, Morrissey & Marr, Gallagher & Gallagher, Albarn & Coxon, Black Francis & Joey Santiago, and most definitely Cuomo & Sharp.
I'm assuming you're basing that on what Rivers has said. I'm sure one of the most biased musicians in the industry would be completely honest about past members of a band he runs like a damn concentration camp... Why is it that Matt sued Weezer for rights to about half the songs on the first two albums and Rivers settled outside of court? Don't you think that if he could in fact prove that Matt didn't write the songs that he would say so in court as opposed to paying him off outside of court? Rivers isn't Mark Zuckerberg who can throw money around like dirty clothes. Not to mention, neither Scott nor Mikey can step up to the plate and match Matt's voice, stage presence, bass playing, and overall belonging in Weezer. Period.

Indiekid said:

Blueperton said:

And you...

I still love Weezer. I've said numerous times that I will continue to support them and defend them with my last breath. But frankly, you're high if you think anything matches up to "Matt Era" Weezer, and so is the band. I love Green, I love Maladroit, Make Believe, Red, and especially Hurley (We won't talk about the one which will not be named), but in all seriousness, the acoustic show Matt and Rivers played together way back in '04 is the closest thing to REAL Weezer in the last 12 years at least.

Jordan said:

That's because a lot of us don't hate Weezer post-Matt.

Some of us still love what Weezer does.

Blueperton said:

I don't really see how these idiot boardies have developed the mentality that new Weezer (post-Matt) sucks, yet it has nothing to do with the absence of one of the most influential people in Rivers' life.
That's a matter of opinion, is it not?

Blueperton said:

But frankly, you're high if you think anything matches up to "Matt Era" Weezer, and so is the band.

ehhhhh...its a matter of opinion if you like or dislike it.  If you are judging Weezer albums unbiasedly strictly by lyrical writing, musical composition and musical talent, there is seriously no way anything post-pinkerton comes close to the first two albums. I remember in my musical analysis class (2002 I believe)my group did our end of the year presentation on a Pinkerton-TGA comparision. Based on everything that we learned, we combined to rate Pinkerton a 92 and TGA a 78. However, based on enjoyment vaule, three of our members rated TGA in the 90s and Pinkerton in the 60's, but these three members ironically ranked TGA the lowest based on analysis. As I said in TGA topic here, you can enjoy something and admit it sucks. I, for the most part, like all of Weezer, but its painfully obvious TBA and Pinkerton are miles ahead of the rest of Weezer's material.

Back to Matt, as I said earlier, he wasn't a "yes man". Thats a huge contribution. Pat even admited at the other board that their all pretty much yes men to Rivers now. Rivers has a crazily stupid idea to work with Lady Gaga, the members just go along with it. Matt would actually criticize if Rivers had a dumb idea. Constructive criticism is good in the band, and that has been missing since Matt left. Thats why we have an album like TRA, which has some great songs and had enough material to be a really great album, but we have complete stinkers like Cold Dark World on it. Weezer probably would have still fallen from greatness after Pinkerton, but Matt would have kept Rivers somewhat sane, leading to a much more consistent band and much more consistent albums.

Jordan said:

That's a matter of opinion, is it not?

Blueperton said:

But frankly, you're high if you think anything matches up to "Matt Era" Weezer, and so is the band.

I have only one question, and it is out of genuine curiousity, If Matt wrote half of the songs from the first two albums, why did Pat Wilson and Jason Cropper get credit for co-writing "My name is Jonas" and another song from the TBA when Matt got nothing? Its on the credits from Video Capture Device. I might have read it wrong.

Blueperton said:
I'm assuming you're basing that on what Rivers has said. I'm sure one of the most biased musicians in the industry would be completely honest about past members of a band he runs like a damn concentration camp... Why is it that Matt sued Weezer for rights to about half the songs on the first two albums and Rivers settled outside of court? Don't you think that if he could in fact prove that Matt didn't write the songs that he would say so in court as opposed to paying him off outside of court? Rivers isn't Mark Zuckerberg who can throw money around like dirty clothes. Not to mention, neither Scott nor Mikey can step up to the plate and match Matt's voice, stage presence, bass playing, and overall belonging in Weezer. Period.

Indiekid said:

Blueperton said:

I'm not quite sure, but I know that Jason's credit was for writing the awesome intro on My Name is Jonas.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I have only one question, and it is out of genuine curiousity, If Matt wrote half of the songs from the first two albums, why did Pat Wilson and Jason Cropper get credit for co-writing "My name is Jonas" and another song from the TBA when Matt got nothing? Its on the credits from Video Capture Device. I might have read it wrong.

anyone who says pat could have pulled off what matt did on pinkerton is fooling themselves.  he can't even be bothered to play a lot of those songs correct (as in, how they were recorded) live anyways.  matt, his stage presence, his vocal additions, his musicianship, has yet to be matched.

that being said, mike and scott both have completely different styles.  but still............it's all about sharp.

Ok first of all, saying that Rivers runs the band like a "concentration camp" is completely moronic. How could you possibly know?
You know nothing of that court case and how it was settled, the only people who do know that are Matt and the band.
"If they were bad, they'd probably be just as bad if I was there"-Matt Sharp.
Hardly sounds like the words of someone who was a great "influence" on Rivers' songwriting and who co-wrote a lot of Weezers songs.

Blueperton said:

Indiekid said:

Blueperton said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video