I was thrilled to hear about the memories tour.  Ridiculously excited,  actually.  I get to hear my two favourite Weezer albums performed in their entirety?  All the times I've been at Weezer concerts going, "Please please play this.."  Now I'm guaranteed to go to a concert where I KNOW these songs I've always prayed to hear live... will be played.  For 75 dollars per ticket.

Seriously?  I'm not trying to whine here...  but that's a little steep,  even for New York.  My husband and I grew up listening to Weezer, as did our friends.  Unfortunately as we grew up,  we acquired things called bills, and "family emergencies".  Some of us had children,  got real jobs...  And can't possibly afford 75 dollars a ticket to go see one of their all time favourite bands play right now.  Add on one drink and coat check,  and we're looking at a 200 dollar night.  

I <3 me some Weezer,  believe me.  <3 them long time.  But 75 dollars is a lot,  and my car's due for an inspection soon... I hope all that are able to afford it,  enjoy it.  You're very lucky.

Tags: Concert, New, York, memories, prices, tickets, tour

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sovereign Andy said:
Sorry, but in my case I'd have to drive 3 hours minimum to make a show in ATL. That's 6 hours round trip for those of you keeping up at home. Bit of an expense, that, even if I eat roadkill and water down my gasoline.

On the flip side, I live in a very big art town that has a metric tonne of great music coming through for between 5 and 20 bucks at the door. I have a press pass and generally get in free or cheepcheep. I'm not starved for art. I'm just not keen on driving AWAY from my home where great art and music happen in small venues to see a band in a massive venue and spend a lot of money doing it.

Finite resources. Choices. 200 or so bucks versus 15 at the door of the local venues if I don't flash my press pass.

If you know your limitations, then why are you bellyaching? I used to be in the same boat as you, living in Iowa, where I saw 4 shows of this caliber in 6 years. I live an hour from Chicago now, have more money, and have seen at least that many this SUMMER. Just enjoy your local stuff and if it bothers you so much that bands like Weezer don't play your hometown and you don't like to travel, move to where they do play. And Weezer's never going to charge $15 at the door again for a show, so don't hold your breath on that one.

Christopher Hickman said:

Sovereign Andy said:
Sorry, but in my case I'd have to drive 3 hours minimum to make a show in ATL. That's 6 hours round trip for those of you keeping up at home. Bit of an expense, that, even if I eat roadkill and water down my gasoline.

On the flip side, I live in a very big art town that has a metric tonne of great music coming through for between 5 and 20 bucks at the door. I have a press pass and generally get in free or cheepcheep. I'm not starved for art. I'm just not keen on driving AWAY from my home where great art and music happen in small venues to see a band in a massive venue and spend a lot of money doing it.

Finite resources. Choices. 200 or so bucks versus 15 at the door of the local venues if I don't flash my press pass.

If you know your limitations, then why are you bellyaching? I used to be in the same boat as you, living in Iowa, where I saw 4 shows of this caliber in 6 years. I live an hour from Chicago now, have more money, and have seen at least that many this SUMMER. Just enjoy your local stuff and if it bothers you so much that bands like Weezer don't play your hometown and you don't like to travel, move to where they do play. And Weezer's never going to charge $15 at the door again for a show, so don't hold your breath on that one.
*swoosh*
That's the sound of my (and others') point zooming past your head.

And we're just having a discussion here. Don't get all wound up about it.
It's an indoor show right J-biebs? You're such a chooch!

j-biebs said:
yeah, don't wear a coat...in new york...in december.

Rob Caruso said:
Welcome to 2010! Everything costs more. My advice, skip the booze and don't wear a coat! If you have other priorities, so be it. It's called life. I quote the great Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want."
i've gone to a show in Michigan in December with no coat... boohoo...

j-biebs said:
yeah, don't wear a coat...in new york...in december.

Rob Caruso said:
Welcome to 2010! Everything costs more. My advice, skip the booze and don't wear a coat! If you have other priorities, so be it. It's called life. I quote the great Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want."
The DVD should only be about $20 when it comes out....I'll wait for that...
I stand by my statement.

placemats said:
What do you mean making them cheaper doesn't benefit anyone? It benefits the fans. And there are ways bands can prevent scalpers from scooping up the good seats, such as will call only tickets that require an ID or credit card verfication.

That's my point - they're NOT charging what the biggest bands in the world charge, they're charging less. But I challenge you to find a popular major label act charging significantly less than this.

I wish they were cheaper too, and I think they're overpriced (not Weezer in particular, concert tickets in general), but I'm part of the problem as I continue to buy. And making them cheaper doesn't benefit anyone, because then the band gets less money and the scalpers get more.

Go try to get tickets to the Aragon right now from Ticketmaster, and then try from Stub Hub, and see what you think. Do you think this would be BETTER if the tickets were LESS?

CrackerJack said:
are you stupid? Is anyone stealing gas? Groceries? Why are those prices going up? Because we are in a recession. And while I admit i downloaded raditude off demonoid, i have bought every single one of their albums besides that and seen them 6 times in concert, often with over 20 people with me. And btw, out of every 1000 dollars a cd makes, the average musican makes 3.64 cents. TOURING is what helps them make money. Blame the record companies, not piraters.

I'm not sure what, if any, concerts you've attended in the past 5 years, but these tickets are actually on the low end of average for well established, major bands. Your Pearl Jams and Dave Matthews types are more like $75 face, U2 and Stones $100+, etc....this is what everybody illegally downloading music has done. Well, that's not the only factor, but it is a factor.

The point is, less money is being made on CD's. Whether it's "enough" money or not is not the point, but they're (the record companies) going to recoup those funds elsewhere and concert tickets is where that currently is, and until people (like you and me) stop buying the tickets, the prices are going to continue to be at the present level and even go up.

placemats said:
I stand by my statement.

placemats said:
What do you mean making them cheaper doesn't benefit anyone? It benefits the fans. And there are ways bands can prevent scalpers from scooping up the good seats, such as will call only tickets that require an ID or credit card verfication.

That's my point - they're NOT charging what the biggest bands in the world charge, they're charging less. But I challenge you to find a popular major label act charging significantly less than this.

I wish they were cheaper too, and I think they're overpriced (not Weezer in particular, concert tickets in general), but I'm part of the problem as I continue to buy. And making them cheaper doesn't benefit anyone, because then the band gets less money and the scalpers get more.

Go try to get tickets to the Aragon right now from Ticketmaster, and then try from Stub Hub, and see what you think. Do you think this would be BETTER if the tickets were LESS?

Then you don't see the forest for the trees.

Here's an example for you:

Situation #1: Band sets ticket prices at $25. Scalpers buy up most and sell for $100
Situation #2: Band sets ticket prices at $50. Scalpers buy up most and sell for $100

The only "fans" that win are the small handful that are able to get in fast enough to buy what the scalpers can't, won't, or are limited from buying themselves. The band has LOST $25 on each ticket that they could have had, and the scalpers made $25 MORE per ticket. So lowering ticket prices does not help fans attend the show (it's already sold out anyway), and it makes the band less money, while allowing someone else not involved with the band to profit MORE off them.

Really, they should just put every ticket for every concert up for straight auction with a starting price (a fairly low one). This would almost entirely eliminate scalping.

Sovereign Andy said:

Sovereign Andy said:

*swoosh*
That's the sound of my (and others') point zooming past your head.

And we're just having a discussion here. Don't get all wound up about it.

Don't worry about me getting worked up...it hasn't happened yet and most likely won't, but you'll know it when it happens.

And I haven't missed the point...my point is that your point is irrelevant and whiny. Concert tickets for popular major label recording artists are expensive, welcome to the year 2010 (or really, ~2004)
Look. I wasn't specifically talking about the Chicago show. I meant concert tickets in general are often too expensive for fans and bands should work to keep their prices down. And as I said, bands can help keep scalpers from scooping up tickets by simply utilizing will call only pick-up with ID or requiring ticket holders to show their ID with the ticket upon entering the venue.

placemats said:
I stand by my statement.

placemats said:

Then you don't see the forest for the trees.

Here's an example for you:

Situation #1: Band sets ticket prices at $25. Scalpers buy up most and sell for $100
Situation #2: Band sets ticket prices at $50. Scalpers buy up most and sell for $100

The only "fans" that win are the small handful that are able to get in fast enough to buy what the scalpers can't, won't, or are limited from buying themselves. The band has LOST $25 on each ticket that they could have had, and the scalpers made $25 MORE per ticket. So lowering ticket prices does not help fans attend the show (it's already sold out anyway), and it makes the band less money, while allowing someone else not involved with the band to profit MORE off them.

Really, they should just put every ticket for every concert up for straight auction with a starting price (a fairly low one). This would almost entirely eliminate scalping.
obviously our only course of action is to boycott everything...or at least my only course of action
charge it

the tix cost what people are willing to pay for them

I'm not in town when they are playing in L.A. or S.F. so I am in fact flying to Chicago and getting a room and moreover I had to shell out double the dough for the Friday nite show because it was sold out. Between air fare, place to stay, tix, and the fact that I am taking my gal....this is going to cost me a grand, and I don't have that kind of dough laying around.

But I do have a credit card and I'm not sure if =w= will ever be doing this type of thing again, so the chance to see TBA and Pink played all the way through is worth it to me.

Supply and demand.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video