Not complex per say, but clouded metaphors, really full lyrics that you sit back and say man he put a lot of time into.  The discussion is pretty self explanatory, but first off, although I do love Blue and Pinkerton the most, I'm not going to sit hear and boast of the greatness, enough of that is being done, but show you a transition.

"Somebody's Heine'
Is crowdin' my icebox
Somebody's cold one
Is givin' me chills
Guess I'll just close my eyes"

"I will crush your pretty
Toenails into a thousand pieces."

"What could you possibly see in little ol' 3 chord me?"

(Favorite line ever, and I could very well be biased, you tell me)

And then 

"I don't feel the joy
I don't feel the pain
You were just a toy
I am just insane"

"You don't keep house and I'm a slob
You're freakin' out cause I can't keep a job
We don't update our blogs
We are trainwrecks"

"I got a PC, you got a Mac
I'm giving you flak for your AirPort
I read books and you watch TV
You wanna be free to relax more"

Am I just not getting it or does anyone else just see the lack of substance in rivers' recent lyrics?

Also the Red Album is kind of an odd ball as it's a later album and it's lyrics aren't too bad.

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seen this? Link--> When Weezer Was Cool

A quote: 

“The Pinkerton Years” is thus a much-welcome reminder of what Weezer used to be, and why so many fans jumped ship after it started overloading its albums and videos with gimmicky collaborations with rappers, Playboy playmates, Top-40 hitmakers and Kenny G. 

It isn’t a brilliant collection of private moments, as the title would suggest, but it is a needed reminder of a time when Cuomo was able to turn out quality, completed songs. 

I enjoy the simple spontaneous lyrics, if you want deep flip on some Pink Floyd. Weezer music has always had (to me) a light but exciting vibe to it. Their music has lifted me up in the hospital and motivated me in the gym. One of the many quirks that make Rivers so cool is that you'll always get a great melody and surprises in the lyrics. My music library needs its Frank Black/Francis my Lou Barlow's, Nirvana's and Husker Du's and ya know what? Rivers/Weezer fit right in there nicely. I would never bother to be concerned with lyrics as long as my foot is tapping and I'm wearing a smile
I find the videos fun and entertaining -- my wife's cousin was in "The perfect situation" video so I may be biased on that one. Weezer vids = Fun.

WeezerWoman said:

A quote: 

“The Pinkerton Years” is thus a much-welcome reminder of what Weezer used to be, and why so many fans jumped ship after it started overloading its albums and videos with gimmicky collaborations with rappers, Playboy playmates, Top-40 hitmakers and Kenny G. 

It isn’t a brilliant collection of private moments, as the title would suggest, but it is a needed reminder of a time when Cuomo was able to turn out quality, completed songs. 

I'm not bashing lyrics or anything.  I'm just saying there seemed to be a stark contrast between Post Pinkerton lyrics.  The story his present lyrics are like that of a kindergardener.  It's so strange for their maturity to have peaked in 1996 and never recovered. 

Perfect Situation is probably my favorite Weezer video. I think it's a solid song, too. It's mostly stuff off Hurley and Ratitude that I don't like, and even those albums have a few good songs on them. I think the author was right when he said "gimmicky." It's that sort of stuff that I'm not so fond of.

Ken Pattison said:

I find the videos fun and entertaining -- my wife's cousin was in "The perfect situation" video so I may be biased on that one. Weezer vids = Fun.

WeezerWoman said:

A quote: 

Weezer lyrics are always best when they're written with personal emotion, complex or not. 

I agree with that but I prefer lyrics that explore complex emotions which in turn would need some kind of complexity in the lyrics.  

Crying Magma [Front man] said:

Weezer lyrics are always best when they're written with personal emotion, complex or not. 

I remember the days when I was stronger than a wall

Try as anybody might, they couldn't move me at all

Now I fall to pieces when you softly call my name

Going up in smoke rings like a moth within your flame

--beautiful song ... full of emotion...

too simple? 

Jack F Underwood said:

I agree with that but I prefer lyrics that explore complex emotions which in turn would need some kind of complexity in the lyrics.  

No, but that's one song off Ratitude, there's bound to be outlyers, but the topic was a general trend.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Jumpin on the floor (natkat) said:

I remember the days when I was stronger than a wall

Try as anybody might, they couldn't move me at all

Now I fall to pieces when you softly call my name

Going up in smoke rings like a moth within your flame

--beautiful song ... full of emotion...

too simple? 

Jack F Underwood said:

Just think its funny that you mentioned some of the most complex lyrics are "I will crush your pretty
Toenails into a thousand pieces." ( not to put down OID here as it is my fav weezer song)

Surely then 

"My ocular nerve went, pop, zoom
I never observed such a beautiful face" should satisfy you  :p

I do agree with what Kyle said earlier that a writer writes to what is relevant in their lives...maybe as a result of life events the frequency of "complex lyrics" that you seek appears to have decreased a bit from your point of view but the art is still there IMO ... maybe you just don't relate to it and maybe it is just not to your taste ... sometimes simple words are more appropriate for capturing complex emotions ....

Also.... about that Sith statement... sounds to me like you are just contradicting yourself....too complex for me... sorry :p

well everyone interpenetrates songs differently but to me for "Somebody's Heine'
Is crowdin' my icebox
Somebody's cold one
Is givin' me chills
Guess I'll just close my eyes" Heine is referring to beer, so someones beer is in his icebox (freezer) cold one also a term for beer is chilling him. I guess ill just close my eyes i think thats just straight forward. but as for  "I don't feel the joy
I don't feel the pain
You were just a toy
I am just insane" I think he's trying to say he didnt feel any emotions happy or sad and you were just a toy i think means like he was using someone for joy, or kinda saying it wasn't anything serious just kind of for the time being untill the toy gets boring. and i am just insane i think means he was just insane, not literally though.  "You don't keep house and I'm a slob
You're freakin' out cause I can't keep a job
We don't update our blogs
We are trainwrecks" I think this means that his wife or who ever he is referring to doesnt clean the house and he is a slob and I kind of honestly think the next two lines are purposely for rhyming but they prob have a meaning. "I got a PC, you got a Mac
I'm giving you flak for your AirPort
I read books and you watch TV
You wanna be free to relax more" This song is just saying they have so many things uncommon that makes them an oddcouple but yet he wouldn't want anyone else, i just think he's displaying some things they dont have in common. This is just what i think, like i said everyone interpenetrates songs differently and obviously Im not Rivers so i cant tell you how he intended their meaning to be, but i hope this is helpful.

Ok if you want multiple interpretations/meanings in lyrics then chew on this...

Me and JD chillin in the shack
Sharing Chiclets from the same pack
180-proof Vitamin Water
Energy flavor
Take us to your daughter

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music