Not complex per say, but clouded metaphors, really full lyrics that you sit back and say man he put a lot of time into.  The discussion is pretty self explanatory, but first off, although I do love Blue and Pinkerton the most, I'm not going to sit hear and boast of the greatness, enough of that is being done, but show you a transition.

"Somebody's Heine'
Is crowdin' my icebox
Somebody's cold one
Is givin' me chills
Guess I'll just close my eyes"

"I will crush your pretty
Toenails into a thousand pieces."

"What could you possibly see in little ol' 3 chord me?"

(Favorite line ever, and I could very well be biased, you tell me)

And then 

"I don't feel the joy
I don't feel the pain
You were just a toy
I am just insane"

"You don't keep house and I'm a slob
You're freakin' out cause I can't keep a job
We don't update our blogs
We are trainwrecks"

"I got a PC, you got a Mac
I'm giving you flak for your AirPort
I read books and you watch TV
You wanna be free to relax more"

Am I just not getting it or does anyone else just see the lack of substance in rivers' recent lyrics?

Also the Red Album is kind of an odd ball as it's a later album and it's lyrics aren't too bad.

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's just more of him being straight forward now. 

I do agree with your favorite line though.
Got me my lady :'D 

He's trying to have mainstream appeal

Death to False Metal is not mainstream...is it?

Is this thread serious?  I hope not.

...do you disagree? 

No, I think you're right. It all seems very contrived lately, which is sad. I can say without any irony that I think the man's a genius. I'm confused and disappointed at the direction Weezer has taken. I understand that they have their reasons; we've discussed that ad nauseam on these forums. I think that it would be really lovely if Rivers started composing rock operas or something and left this lame pop culture nonsense to the pop culture idiots. He has a gift, but it's not serving anyone if he's going to keep using it to play jingles for State Farm and write songs about blogging and computers. 

by the way... I like this board better than ATW, I think. Fewer trolls, generally. 

It's not that I disagree, so much as the examples you pulled out.

First of all, you can't just pull any two or more songs and compare their lyrics alone...  They are all different moods...  Like a poem.  Sure, you can have a preference, but it's not as objective as you make it seem.

Another thing is, in /technical/ terms, "Autopilot" has among the most complex lyrics... Check out the bridge... it's written in BASIC...  Which is both funny and a neat, unconventional thing; perhaps the only song to ever be written like that.  And it fits with the mood/lyrics obviously.

You guys have to realize that Weezer is a band...  It changes with each album, and sometimes within the same one.  It's about self-discovery and progressing and trying new things.  Most or even all of Weezer's songs are brilliantly-composed...  If they weren't, I wouldn't listen to this band.

Jack F Underwood said:

...do you disagree? 

"Most or even all of Weezer's songs are brilliantly-composed...  If they weren't, I wouldn't listen to this band."

I don't know about that.  For one, some Weezer songs are not brilliantly-compassed.  And in order for me to listen to Weezer or any other band not all their songs/lyrics need to be brilliantly compassed either.  There are some bands with good songs and not so good songs in their catalogs.

It sounds like they're changing but in a way of non discovering and not progressing.  When I listened to Hurley and DTFM, it was just like alright, two verses, two chorus, about time for a bridge, and then that unused minor chord plays and it's one of those, "I told myself," moments, that pretentious people like me constantly have (I kid).  With the Red Album as an exception, Weezer's output has steadily decreased in quality as they strive to become more pop or wanting to mention "Macs" because that's what the cool kids like when back in the day, they mentioned sweaters and we didn't even know we liked them until Weezer sang about them.

Also Autopilot is probably the worst song I've ever heard.  The bridge's complexity doesn't acomidate for the fact that in the verse he sings about getting up and eating breakfast. But for the love of god even Rebecca Black doesn't sing about picking up dog s***.

Really?  You really think Rivers name-drops Macs because the "cool kids" are talking about them?

And that's what makes the song "Autopilot" unique.  And I don't understand why you people seem to think the song structure has become flat suddenly...  It's always been a formula.  In fact, the Red album is the only album where there's a diversion from that formula almost every track.  The Blue album and Pinkerton and especially the Green album all followed a pattern, with the exception of a few songs...  "Only in Dreams" is the only I can name off the top of my head, in fact.

From a musical standpoint, their newer stuff is more complex, but no one will ever admit it when they're trying to be hipster/pretentious.  Sad.

He's certainly not name-dropping Macs to be poetic.

I believe rivers is an artist who writes about what is relevant to that moment of his life. So maybe at this point he just has so much on his plate that his lyrics have taken a bit of a hit. I can say that this man is my idol and yes some of his songs have better lyrics than others but every album he and weezer has ever come out with have had really good s*** on it. It's just not as abundant as it used to be because sacrifices have to be made at certain points of life.
I like your take on this alot. 

Radioactive said:

It's not that I disagree, so much as the examples you pulled out.

First of all, you can't just pull any two or more songs and compare their lyrics alone...  They are all different moods...  Like a poem.  Sure, you can have a preference, but it's not as objective as you make it seem.

Another thing is, in /technical/ terms, "Autopilot" has among the most complex lyrics... Check out the bridge... it's written in BASIC...  Which is both funny and a neat, unconventional thing; perhaps the only song to ever be written like that.  And it fits with the mood/lyrics obviously.

You guys have to realize that Weezer is a band...  It changes with each album, and sometimes within the same one.  It's about self-discovery and progressing and trying new things.  Most or even all of Weezer's songs are brilliantly-composed...  If they weren't, I wouldn't listen to this band.

Jack F Underwood said:

...do you disagree? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service