I'm in my penultimate year of high school and I'm beginning to think about post-secondary schools. 

People of ATNW: 

Did you go to a university or college? 

What did you study? 

What do you do now and was that choice impacted by what you studied after high school?

Any advice or response would be really cool. 

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes

What did you study? 

Accounting

What do you do now and was that choice impacted by what you studied after high school?

I'm an accountant. I guess the choice to become an accounant after studying accounting seemed pretty obvious.

When I was 17, I had to make a decision to find some type of long term employment.  Throughout my entire time in high school, I never once held a job.  Knowing that I didn't make many plans after high school to do anything (including college), I decided to go joined the armed forces.  So around Feb 2001 - April 2009, I served.

Then when I was getting discharged in 2009, I knew that the job market had problems (which still exists today).  Luckily since I am a veteran, I was able to take advantage of the GI Bill to go to school without paying anything.  Since August of 2009, I have been going to college as a fulltime student.  I haven't work since I got out of the Air Force.  I choose not to because I don't want a job to be counter productive in my ability to get my degree.

I originally was on a degree program for a bachelors in history.  After giving the degree option some more thought over the years, I switched to get an associates degree in liberal arts and transfer for a bachelors in communications.  Not sure if any of this might have an influence in your decision, but you're probably on the right track to start making decisions on what you want to do with your life.  I think the best way for you is to start with the general classes and look at what the electives may have to offer to you.  Maybe with your Lego building hobby, perhaps you should look into becoming an architect.

I am currently studying Music Education.

Go to school. Even if it doesn't directly affect your future job, it's the greatest social part of your life.

-yes

-marine and freshwater biology

-in the process of applying to grad school for marine biology....so, yes.

i went to a university, but the US doesn't really have the same distinction between universities and colleges that you have in canada and elsewhere.

What did you study?

i changed majors five times because i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life. i was of the mindset that my major would lead to a career in that field, so while i was, for the most part, picking majors that interested me, i didn't stick with them because they ultimately weren't what i wanted to do as a career. i cycled through biology (too competitive with all the pre-med kids), psychology (awesome), and english lit (ugh victorian literature) during this phase. for number four  i decided that i should pick something generic to major in, because even though it didn't necessarily interest me, it would give me a solid base for a future job. this resulted in a year or so of being a business major. it was utterly boring, though, and i sucked at accounting, so i had zero motivation to continue onwards.

at this point, i was sick of being in school, but dropping out wasn't an option (both because i felt like it would have been an utter waste of the previous 4 years, and because i was lucky enough to have most of my education paid for, and i knew i wouldn't have that luxury in the future). after getting advice from countless people, it finally dawned on me that my major didn't have to define my career. with that in mind, i went back to picking a major that interested me, only this time i did it just to learn about the subject, not to prepare for a career in it. i ended up with a degree in economics that i will never use to get a job.

i do web development now. i only took like 3 computer classes in high school and college. it wasn't even something i was looking to get into, i was unemployed at the time and it was originally a temp job. it wasn't especially challenging or glamorous, but i liked it enough to figure out how to do much more complex stuff, which led to a full-time position. now i'm taking a handful of classes at a city college to earn a certificate in web development and to fill in the gaps of all the stuff i taught myself.

and to answer a question you didn't ask, but probably should have, i don't regret any of it (well, most of it). i ended up taking all kinds of awesome classes that i wouldn't have otherwise taken had i been working towards one specific degree. again, though, i was pretty privileged to be able to spend that kind of time (5 1/2 years) in school, so this won't apply to everyone.

so my advice: you have an idea of what you'd like to study, so pick the school that offers the program. you don't have to declare your major right when you start, and it won't hurt you to be officially undecided. don't go into it thinking that you need to immediately start in on your degree plan, because that typically makes up less than half of your general requirements. spend a year doing basics along with one or two of the intro-level film classes since that's what your interested in. if that holds your interest, apply to the program, if it doesn't, you'll be in a school with a wide array of options available to you. like trevor said, you may get more out of another elective than you do a film class, and it may take you down a completely different path.

/kittens gets real

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I really do appreciate it.  

I guess one of the main themes being discussed here is that life and career can come naturally if you just study what you like. I'll for sure chill out more and not be completely determined on a specific degree or career. 

Great advice br0s, it means a lot. 

biebs, i had it in the back of my mind that you studied economics. guess you must have mentioned it on the old board once upon a time.

university.

What did you study?

psychology. when i was in school, i was one of those people who really liked science subjects but also really liked humanities so studying psychology suited my interests perfectly, as it's pretty much a mix of the two. although my school didn't offer any psychology classes, i started to get interested in it in my own time and i bought some text books and just did some independent study. you can leave school at 16 (well, in some cases, 15) in the UK and, as such, as you approach 16, schools make you prepare a record of your scholastic achievements in case you want to start looking for a job at 16. i still have my 'record of achievement' folder and in it there is a totally cringeworthy statement i wrote about how i want to be a psychologist  

i studied psychology for my undergraduate degree (thankfully during the time in which it was free for anyone to study for a degree). when i graduated, i wanted to do further study and get involved in research but there was no way i could afford it. instead, i completed a PGCE (which is a teaching qualification) and i started teaching at a local college (which, in the UK, is not the same as a university). that was ok for a while but i felt i was getting dragged further and further from what i really wanted to do - which was working in research. so, in 2006, i quit my nice, sensible full-time job and studied for my MSc in research methods and statistics. at the same time, i also started teaching some undergraduate classes at the university i was studying at. once i finished my MSc, i started a PhD, which I completed at the end of September this year. my thesis is currently being examined and i have my viva voce on november 22

right now, i'm working on a research project and i also teach part-time in a university. i also have a side-gig teaching psychology in a local school for a few hours per week. once i get my PhD, i'm hoping to work in academia full-time, doing research and teaching. so, yep, what i do now was strongly determined by what i studied after high school, although i didn't take the msot direct route to get to where i wanted to be.

i'm not big on giving advice but, if i had to, i would say just apply to the uni or college with the best reputation for whatever it is you want to study. once you complete your degree, a high profile college/program will look good on your CV and, if you go on to further or higher study, you can often be judged on where you did your undergraduate work.

kittens bieber ♥ said:

i ended up with a degree in economics that i will never use to get a job.

the only thing I regret about college was going to Western Michigan instead of University of Michigan.  I didn't think I was good enough to get into Michigan, so I never even applied.  I originally wanted to study Computer Engineering, which Western was known for, but after 1 semester of that, I quickly changed my major to Film Production, which UofM is better at.

Go to school where you want, and don't let friends or family persuade your decision.  Follow what you know you want, and then take Biebs advice and study what you want.  A degree shows an employer that you committed to something, and finished it.  Nothing you study is going to directly translate over to a job you are going to get 4-5 years from now, especially if you are into technology.  Go to school to learn theory, so you can then apply the theory to the work you do after your schooling.

What exactly is the difference between college and university in Canada?  In the US, Colleges are usually just smaller, sometimes private, schools.  And Universities are where hot chicks and frat dudes go...kidding, but not entirely. Universities are huge.  Ever been to Madison, WI?  U of W has 60,000+ undergrads

Did you enjoy studying film production? Would you recommend it?

It's very similar in Canada, regarding colleges and universities. Colleges tend to be smaller, less competitive, and cheaper. 

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

the only thing I regret about college was going to Western Michigan instead of University of Michigan.  I didn't think I was good enough to get into Michigan, so I never even applied.  I originally wanted to study Computer Engineering, which Western was known for, but after 1 semester of that, I quickly changed my major to Film Production, which UofM is better at.

Go to school where you want, and don't let friends or family persuade your decision.  Follow what you know you want, and then take Biebs advice and study what you want.  A degree shows an employer that you committed to something, and finished it.  Nothing you study is going to directly translate over to a job you are going to get 4-5 years from now, especially if you are into technology.  Go to school to learn theory, so you can then apply the theory to the work you do after your schooling.

What exactly is the difference between college and university in Canada?  In the US, Colleges are usually just smaller, sometimes private, schools.  And Universities are where hot chicks and frat dudes go...kidding, but not entirely. Universities are huge.  Ever been to Madison, WI?  U of W has 60,000+ undergrads

The school I went to was pretty weak for film production.  I was allowed to take 1 non-linear editing class, and that was only a third of the class (only digital video class offered).  We also studied Pre-Production and actual Production in that class.  Then 1 film class where I got to make a short film using a 16mm Bolex from the 1960s, but that class was also teamed with learning how to operate the camera, splicing film, and script writing.

If I had gone to a school with a Film Production major that was more dedicated, I think I would have actually learned more about the field....but, because I didn't, I got to study A LOT of other stuff.  It allowed me to minor in Creative Writing and Comparitive Religion, and take a bunch of electives that I actually still remember information from.

I currently don't have a job in Film production, and never actually have.  I first worked in Quality Assurance for Video Games.  I played video games a lot growing up, but Film Production helped me create an eye for detail, helping me find lots and lots of defects in video games, which in turn got me promoted (temp -> full time -> manager).

I now do Web Development, Web site testing, graphic design, and data tracking for a highly profitable website.  My experience testing games helped me get this job, and the photoshop skills I taught myself in college have let me create content for the site.  Ultimately giving me more personal reward for my job.

If you like telling stories, or just putting cool stuff on a medium of communication, try it out.   

Stefan said:

Did you enjoy studying film production? Would you recommend it?

It's very similar in Canada, regarding colleges and universities. Colleges tend to be smaller, less competitive, and cheaper. 

left school at 15, straight into work in nightclubs (two nights work £80 $120) few months later went to a sixth form college and 'studied' biology, chemistry, psychology and maths. it was too much like school i didn't like it so i looked for a full time job. i completed the academic year... i never went back not even to see what i got in my exams :-/

started working full time, funny enough part of my job was a day release at another college, passed that two year course. no i'm in uni once a week.

What did you study? 

through work, Civil engineering

i'm training to be a civil engineer and also a highway safety inspector, through work.

I actually did go to U of M, originally (I thought) for psychology, went through the honors college & all that, but after freshman year decided I wanted to go into teaching, special education at that, which U of M doesn't offer to undergrads. So, I transferred to Michigan State after my sophomore year and finished my teaching degree (sped) there. I just completed my Master's degree through WMU, which I did enjoy, but I'm the type of person that craves the big university recognition. (it's really saying something if you get accepted at U of M, with Harvard being our Michigan of the East ;) )

What I learned from my whole undergrad experience is that it's rare to be sure of exactly what you want to do, and you need to be willing to follow different paths. I am doing the job I went to school for, but I know it's not the end of my path. I'll be going back for my PhD later on, and move out of the classroom and into another role.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video