What's your favorite book?

Views: 318

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky
Oh- you mean The Double Donkey Disc?

Taylor Keefe said:
Agreed. weezer should follow up Hurley with a Russian-epileptic-patricide rock opera!

Barrett Raven said:
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky
Here's my favorite book: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Prince-Antoine-Saint-Exup%C3%A9ry/dp/1...

It's "The Little Prince." May look childish but it's actually quite deep and philosophical. It's not too long either, so hopefully you'll give it a read!
you're not allowed to copy my recommendation

Michael Napolitano said:
Here's my favorite book: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Prince-Antoine-Saint-Exup%C3%A9ry/dp/1...

It's "The Little Prince." May look childish but it's actually quite deep and philosophical. It's not too long either, so hopefully you'll give it a read!
Rivers, an interesting story that i think could be a cool influence on songwriting..

" The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"...

They actually made a movie about it-

I could only imagine an album based off of this story, and how cool a CONCEPT it'd be -

The story-

Benjamin is born with the physical appearance of a 70-year-old man, but already able to speak. His father Roger invites neighborhood boys to play with him and orders him to play with childrens' toys, but Benjamin only obeys to please his father. At five, Benjamin is sent to kindergarten but is quickly withdrawn after he repeatedly falls asleep during child activities.

When Benjamin turns 12, the Button family realizes that he is aging backward. At the age of 18, Benjamin enrolls in a university but having run out of hair dye on the day of registration, is sent home by officials, who think he is a 50-year-old lunatic.

In 1910, Benjamin turns over control of his company to his son, Roscoe, and enrolls at Harvard University, having the appearance of a twenty-year-old. His first year at Harvard is a great success, and he is dominant on the American Football, notably obtaining revenge against Yale for his earlier unpleasant experience. However, by the time Benjamin reaches his last 2 years, he is a weak sixteen-year-old, unable to play football and barely able to cope with the academic load.

After graduation, Benjamin returns home, only to learn his wife has moved to Italy. He lives with Roscoe, who treats him very sternly, making Benjamin call him "Uncle" in front of his house guests. As the years progress, Benjamin turns from a moody teenager into a young child. Eventually Roscoe has a child that later attends kindergarten with Benjamin. After kindergarten, Benjamin slowly begins to lose memory of his earlier life. His memory fades away to the point where he cannot remember anything except his nurse. Then everything fades off to dark.

The movie does a great adaptation of this.. The idea of time going backwards.

Daniel Gasparini ( Danorganplaye said:
Rivers, an interesting story that i think could be a cool influence on songwriting..

" The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"...

They actually made a movie about it-

I could only imagine an album based off of this story, and how cool a CONCEPT it'd be -

The story-

Benjamin is born with the physical appearance of a 70-year-old man, but already able to speak. His father Roger invites neighborhood boys to play with him and orders him to play with childrens' toys, but Benjamin only obeys to please his father. At five, Benjamin is sent to kindergarten but is quickly withdrawn after he repeatedly falls asleep during child activities.

When Benjamin turns 12, the Button family realizes that he is aging backward. At the age of 18, Benjamin enrolls in a university but having run out of hair dye on the day of registration, is sent home by officials, who think he is a 50-year-old lunatic.

In 1910, Benjamin turns over control of his company to his son, Roscoe, and enrolls at Harvard University, having the appearance of a twenty-year-old. His first year at Harvard is a great success, and he is dominant on the American Football, notably obtaining revenge against Yale for his earlier unpleasant experience. However, by the time Benjamin reaches his last 2 years, he is a weak sixteen-year-old, unable to play football and barely able to cope with the academic load.

After graduation, Benjamin returns home, only to learn his wife has moved to Italy. He lives with Roscoe, who treats him very sternly, making Benjamin call him "Uncle" in front of his house guests. As the years progress, Benjamin turns from a moody teenager into a young child. Eventually Roscoe has a child that later attends kindergarten with Benjamin. After kindergarten, Benjamin slowly begins to lose memory of his earlier life. His memory fades away to the point where he cannot remember anything except his nurse. Then everything fades off to dark.

The movie does a great adaptation of this.. The idea of time going backwards.

As a matter of fact, just watch the movie rivers. If THAT movie doesn't inspire your songwriting, or the story doesn't evoke emotion in you I don't know what will. Very good, going on my christmas wish list.
Could it be a top five list?

1 - Dom Casmurro, Machado de Assis (considered by many the greatest novel in the history of Brazilian literature, I think it's available in English)
2 - Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger (read it about 4 times during my teens, which is quite disturbing)
3 - Crime and Punishment, Fiodor Dostoievsky (the book that consumed me the most, I think)
4 - High Fidelity, Nick Hornby (read the book, seen the movie, went to the play...)
5 - One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez (even though I still haven't read "Love in the Times of Cholera", I think this is Marquez's definitive book)
two words, FIGHT CLUB !!!!
What would a Rivers-Cuomo-"Fight Club"-based-upon-song be like?
Anything Kurt Vonnegut. There is a story within a story on Mother Night that could be good.Something about a man throwing a rope outside a window. Also, Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. There are quite a few ideas in that book.
Facepalm, Dan. Facepalm.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video