What's your favorite book?

Views: 324

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

This could be good inspiration for more songs with the word "underwear". Hilarious series.

The dreWid said:
And Captain Underpants

The dreWid said:
The Pinkerton Diaries. 
I think a good book to read for song writing influence would have to be the scarlet letter because of the various symbols and motifs
The Bible is 66 books in one...that's a lot to work with...

Or you could take The Lord of the Rings and write about Hobbits!
Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel SIlverstein
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
This!! Anything written by Neil Gaiman is AWESOME!!!!!!

Ali [mutantmanifesto] said:
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman. All of Neil Gaiman's books are absolutely phenomenal. Most of them have a through the looking-glass kinda vibe. Start off normal, and then it just gets weird.

He also does the Sandman graphic novels which are mind blowingly awesome.
Flowers For Algernon.
Words in Air. It's the complete correspondence between poets Elizabeth Bishop and Robert Lowell. It's amazing.
My recommendations:
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
Lisey's Story by Stephen King
Both of these books delve deep into the human psyche and are masterfully written.
I'd also love to see you resurrect the sci-fi concept album idea since we'll probably not get SFTBH. Iain Banks writes some fine sci-fi lit, but with the tongue-in-cheek humor you seem to enjoy, you wouldn't go wrong with a little of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Addams.
I would name some classic as well, but if I'm not mistaken, you were majoring in English at Harvard, so I assume you've probably read most of the important works.

And to respond to some of the previous recommendations:
A. If you're going for creepy, I'd take Lovecraft over Poe. No one's writings encompass sheer cosmic terror like Lovecraft.
B. Led Zeppelin already covered writing songs about Lord of the Rings.
C. To the person on the first page, Beowulf's author is unknown.
D. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use any current-hyped lit like Harry Potter. Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter, but there are already a lot of "Wiz-Core" bands that write songs about that (see Harry and the Potters).
E. I also am head-over-heels in love with the Dark Tower series; I think it is one of the finest pieces of literature ever written. However, this has also already been covered by a concept band called Demons and Wizards (side project of members of the progressive metal bands Iced Earth and Blind Guardian); they did a concept album called "Touched by the Crimson King" about the DT series.
harry potter, or the robert langdon books by dan brown (angels and demons, da vinci code and the lost symbol) harry potter musical!
Clockwork Orange is probably my favorite novel, Rivers. But anything written by Anthony Burgess or Chuck Palahniuk is guaranteed to be legit and amazing. Also, as far as novels go, I'm a big fan of Stephen King, particularly the Dark Tower series. How often do you use literature as a source of inspiration, Rivers?
Lord of The Rings Led Zeppelin had some cool Lord of The Rings inspired songs.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video