Blinded by the Height.

My Question..What's the deal with girls? Most all girls, re: men? Specifically: 'Shorter' V. 'Tall' men. What is it about a males hight that proves to be the most important characteristic, be it physical, emotional or cerebral, in calculating/deciding attractiveness or romantic desirability. Again. either aesthetically, emotionally, intelligence.

I am not a tall person myself. I'm not unusually small. But I guess i would be categorized as short for a male my age/race/background. So my opinions and experiences in this area may be obviously biased by all of those things. But the more I pay attention to the trend, the more water it appears to hold, theoretically. 

It seems to me that girls find the hight (specifically the 'Tall") of men to be a large plus, or positive attribute in assessing a mans desirability. It also  seems that in most cases, the hight of a male will trump the basic attributes generally associated with attractiveness and/or romantic/sexual appeal. It seems a very good looking shorter male is all-together less attractive to a female than a lesser-attractive but taller male. A Phenomena I, out of my frustration have called 'Blinded By The Hight". More, it seems that the taller the male, the less the normal attractive attributes (Facial/Hair/Body/Fashion/Etc...) matter. It would seem that in a manner of speaking: 'Tall Trumps All.' 

I have never discussed the issue with a female. But I have come up with possible reasons why this trend exists. So prominently, and obviously. It may be nature; maybe having a big, tall man feels safe. Satisfies a primitive human need or desire for protection and safety. It may be similarly primitive.. in that hight represents masculinity... fertility, strength.. health. Though none of these are exceptionally logical and rational in the modern day. But maybe they are remnants of  past 
transformations/forms along humankind's hypothesized evolution into what we are today.

Also.. It seems that smaller males. Even exceptionally attractive, (by other aforementioned attributes), men are harshly and unfairly overlooked (no pun intended). I often take public transport, or drive through busy 'hipster' neighborhoods and down main streets. On such trips, the trends are clear and common. It's extremely rare to see an attractive (by societies media-driven-standards) female with a shorter (even PARTICULARLY ATTRACTIVE) male. It is NOT, however, uncommon to see said female with a, by all other standards, UN-ATTRACTIVE, taller male.

I am not a mathematical person, nor do i wish to do the maths involved in showing my theory and/or even producing some formulae to support my hypotheses. (If that's even possible). Not a math guy. 

I would love it if anyone out there has thoughts on the issue, or anything else to add or discuss, could or would do so. If there are any Math People or Statisticians out there, I'd love for a visual display of the ideas and hypotheses, along with anyone of even everyones opinions included... Maybe . Otherwise, I part with, as-usual, wise words from the pen/mouth of Paul Morrissey. "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small.". Amen. 

Cheers.

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

maybe girls just like dudes who know how to spell height correctly.
If or when I'm ever in need of advice regarding attracting young boys I may ask you directly. From reading it seems you generally go with the 'treat em' mean, keep em' keen' routine, right? 

kitten$ bieber ♥ said:
maybe girls just like dudes who know how to spell height correctly.

I see. Thanks. I guess your ease with women goes with my hypothesis. On height alone, I mean. Only as I don't know any more about you. But still corroborating, 'tis. And I'm not exactly desperate. I'm not saying short guys get no action. I currently get no 'action' as it were. But I'm not really making much of an effort and am content with the state of any relationships of any sort. I just think short[er] guys do it tough[er] (no pun int....). I've thought it always to be an obvious part of life, but never much mentioned.

Also, I might add to all i've written: I believe judging people purely on appearance.. and/or size is quite shallow and, thus, not an enticing quality for most, if not a lot of, people. In the context of romantic or such relations[hips], that is. 

brofessefef said:

I hadn't noticed as, being a tall man who finds it pretty easy to meet women, I've never been in the 'short desperate dude who can't get any action' situation in which you appear to have found yourself.

I am a female and I would like to think I am somewhat on the attractive end of the spectrum....my man is a short ( 5"5 or 5"6) good looking and popular dude. I never really thought about height as what made someone attractive...but I am 5"2. The truth is I don't think I would have ever gone out with someone shorter than I am ....I guess you might be right about the whole security and feeling safe thing... I would suggest going out with a shorter chick.

BTW...I don't think its just shorter guys that are perceived as less attractive by society....there is total descrimination of vertically challenged people! Why do models have to be at least 5"7? 

I totally agree with your last question. As the son a reality TV obsessive (...passing the buck. Like most things: Mums fault). I feel the frustration in the selection of people based on some of the most appalling criteria along with the purely superficial. (Anemic, Anorexic, Impractical footwear. etc...)

I also agree that it is human nature to judge or assume based on whatever we have to go on. Generally, and obviously, appearance will in most instances be that. That is undeniable and true. Also, It is often necessary and helpful for a variety of reasons, such as those Brofessesef and yourself have noted. 

My specific, I guess it is a curious frustration (or just an uncomfortable truth), Is just how much and how far the trend can be measured. Also, how conscious is the bias. While obviously all Individuals are just that, and have their own tendencies. It can seem at times, that there is something somewhat formulaic about it. As though the taller the male, the less important, or the less significant, other qualities associated become in the search for romantic companionship. And if that were to be true, to any extent, what effect does that have conversely for shorter males (i.e. Height +/- or Vs. other 'attractive' characteristics).  

Natkat128 said:

I am a female and I would like to think I am somewhat on the attractive end of the spectrum....my man is a short ( 5"5 or 5"6) good looking and popular dude. I never really thougI miht about height as what made someone attractive...but I am 5"2. The truth is I don't think I would have ever gone out with someone shorter than I am ....I guess you might be right about the whole security and feeling safe thing... I would suggest going out with a shorter chick.

BTW...I don't think its just shorter guys that are perceived as less attractive by society....there is total descrimination of vertically challenged people! Why do models have to be at least 5"7? 

You have a trump card you can play, Benjamin.

self-confidence (but not arrogance) helps more than being tall, thin and rich.

grow a pair and ask a girl out instead of sitting back and coming up with reasons she didn't look at you.

Your formula should include the fact that a man has 6 inches (15.24 cm) more than a woman .....

I am talking about height here so naturally you will find most women with taller men. There has got to be some sort of biological factor to all of this...

Also, looking back at what I said about the model thing ....I realize that the fashion industry is run by Gay men...

thus it is no wonder that they prefer women of average male height, who are flat chested and have no booty, as the standard of beauty....mystery solved 

Benjamin L. Shachter said:

I totally agree with your last question. As the son a reality TV obsessive (...passing the buck. Like most things: Mums fault). I feel the frustration in the selection of people based on some of the most appalling criteria along with the purely superficial. (Anemic, Anorexic, Impractical footwear. etc...)

I also agree that it is human nature to judge or assume based on whatever we have to go on. Generally, and obviously, appearance will in most instances be that. That is undeniable and true. Also, It is often necessary and helpful for a variety of reasons, such as those Brofessesef and yourself have noted. 

My specific, I guess it is a curious frustration (or just an uncomfortable truth), Is just how much and how far the trend can be measured. Also, how conscious is the bias. While obviously all Individuals are just that, and have their own tendencies. It can seem at times, that there is something somewhat formulaic about it. As though the taller the male, the less important, or the less significant, other qualities associated become in the search for romantic companionship. And if that were to be true, to any extent, what effect does that have conversely for shorter males (i.e. Height +/- or Vs. other 'attractive' characteristics).  

Natkat128 said:

I am a female and I would like to think I am somewhat on the attractive end of the spectrum....my man is a short ( 5"5 or 5"6) good looking and popular dude. I never really thougI miht about height as what made someone attractive...but I am 5"2. The truth is I don't think I would have ever gone out with someone shorter than I am ....I guess you might be right about the whole security and feeling safe thing... I would suggest going out with a shorter chick.

equations work with pop songs and physics problems.  As much as an equation may work out to a certain result in love/life, there are always anomalies....which don't really exist in math/equations.

I'm tall (6'2") and am still incredibly awkward with women.  I don't have trouble meeting them, I just don't really know what to do with them once I do.

Maybe this book will help you out:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Date-White-Woman-Practical/dp/0919637264/...

well, short and fat...got money (yeah, yeah). I just don't flaunt it

brofessefef said:

Listen to spaz, he's a man of experience.  Short, fat and poor and he still gets the ladies.

Sofa King [spaz] said:

grow a pair and ask a girl out instead of sitting back and coming up with reasons she didn't look at you.

okay, you got me there

brofessefef said:

Indeed.  If I were short and fat I wouldn't flaunt it either..

Sofa King [spaz] said:

well, short and fat...got money (yeah, yeah). I just don't flaunt it

brofessefef said:

Listen to spaz, he's a man of experience.  Short, fat and poor and he still gets the ladies.

Sofa King [spaz] said:

Thank all of you for your input.

On an insecure, defensive, note.. I  didn't pose/post this idea in relation or reaction to any specific event, or any troubles etc. I've experienced recently... It's just a shout out to my shorter-than-most peers. I actually live next to a Jockey Store. I've never been in there, but as it is situated right behind my home tram stop, I see many short, not so short, and extremely short men.. coming and going. This has been my tram stop since early high school... a good 12 years. As time has passed, I have noticed that there is a difference in my interactions, generally and unspoken, with the customers/jockeys as compared with in general. A knowing, understanding, and a kinship of sorts. It's a minor thing, but it's nevertheless significant in its way.

Placemats, I'm not sure what you mean by Trump Card(?) I'm not sure if you're implying i've ulterior, sinister motives in my posting. But i do not, and am not trying to antagonize or create conflict. However. if someone else does or is, I feel justified in defending myself. I don't think i should need to be fearful of posting even silly or irreverent ramblings, let alone ridiculed for spelling errors.. Such is pointless, unhelpful, and juvenile at best. 

Natkat128, I suppose that's true. I haven't really thought of it that way. I always think they might as well just attach a coat-hanger to a long stick. Or use those skeleton models (literal models) you see in Doctor's offices. Either way, It's quite disturbing what goes on on those TV shows. I shudder to think what it's like behind the scenes, when the cameras aren't present. Short and tall alike, i don't think they're doing anybody's self-esteem any favors.

Sofa-King, I agree with your main points completely. I certainly don't blame my height for my interactions and communications with girls. But, while i may have put it differently, I do agree. I don't believe if i were 6.'2" that i wouldn't still need to posses the courage and self-belief and self-love fundamental in attaining and sustaining a healthy relationship.  

Gregor. I appreciate the honesty. I would have to say i suffer similarly. Although, I quite confidently think I do know 'what to do'... rather my Central and Peripheral Nervous System[s] seem adverse to my successfully doing so at the appropriate moment..  From our brief interactions on these boards and from things i've read of your posts.. you seem like an empathetic, supportive, intuitive and kind person... That PLUS 6'2"... I just hope all the other 6' + men don;t follow suit,,, i'll stand no chance. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video