I'm not going to draw a hard and fast line between "old" and "new" Weezer. I think in my mind, probably Red and everything after is "New," but I think some die hards would start at Green. 

Anyway, I've been doing some thinking, and I've decided I've been pretty hard on Rivers and Weezer. Pinkerton means a lot to me, and I'll admit to judging other Weezer albums against it. That's not fair, though; other albums weren't meant to be what Pinkerton was. 

So, I've been trying to keep an open mind. I have a few break out favorites (remember, no hard and fast "New Weezer"): 

Unspoken--This song redeems Hurley for me. He did this one acoustic on youtube and the Guitar Center Sessions, but I like the album version, with the build up and eventual entry of the full band, and the repeating of the chorus over and over. The lyrics aren't as complex as Pinkerton, but Rivers does well with simple lyrics and repetition in this instance. 

If I had one critique, it would be that I'd have like to have heard electric guitars for the fills instead of woodwinds and what I think are violins. That's more of a personal preference, though. When I fell in love with Weezer at 16, before I even really paid attention to lyrics, it was the guitars that hooked me, and Rivers is So Good at what he does with an electric guitar. Is it true that this was about his wife? I can't remember where I heard that. I know I've felt like this in long term relationships before, and was glad to find this song. 

Where's My Sex? I think this song is clever, and a lot of fun. I like when the guitars sound like the washing machine running. I'm not so crazy about the bridge, but this is a great pop song--suggestive, singable, and simple, but not brainless. A guilty pleasure.

Perfect Situation--semi-new Weezer. I included it because it's one of my favorite Weezer songs, and Make Believe gets a bad rap sometimes. Like I said, I like guitar solos, and these two are fantastic, and moving. Another example of Rivers' simple lyrics at their best. He manages to avoid "cheesy" and is still pretty confessional and revealing, which is what I love about him. The music video is priceless, too. 

There are a lot of others, but this is getting too long. His newer songs aren't all perfect, but a lot of them have pretty good potential. I wonder if the pace at which he was releasing the albums has anything to do with the unfinished/unpolished feel of some of the songs. 

Views: 1768

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say Unspoken, Perfect Situation, TGMTEL, and Rulling Me. One issue I have with the newer stuff is the the lack of guitar solos. Solos were one thing that I felt played a part in why I loved Weezer so much. Many of the songs on Hurley could have been that much better with some killer solos.

Island In The Sun is Definitely my favorite song of all time and I happen to think that Green is like Blue - Pinkerton. What Pat said is right how it is just like the first album, but more compressed, but it is my favorite album of all time (I know people will give me crap for this) its just the perfect pop/rock album and its just really enjoyable to listen to the whole way through.

your favorite weezer song/album of all time, or your favorite song/album of all time?

if it's the latter we need to talk.

Leave the man alone. I really like Seven More Minutes, sue me. But to add to the thread, I liked 90% of MB and Red quite a bit, could only swallow "I Want You To" from Rad, and liked Memories, Ruling Me, and Unspoken, and Loved Where's My Sex from Hurley. But I know if it wasn't Weezer I wouldn't.

It is both and thank you Indierocks.

happy otter said:

your favorite weezer song/album of all time, or your favorite song/album of all time?

Hugh Lovric said:

It is both and thank you Indielocks.

happy otter said:

Well... To me i see Weezer in three sections "old" being blue and pinkerton "middle" being green maladroit and make believe and "new" red till prior. but on every album especially in my definition of middle weezer they have a sound that keeps evolving and thats just a natural thing an artist cant control it just happens as they age mature and like different music, but to me I'm going to say Make Believe as a whole because that whole album tells a story, i think with every other album for the most part (besides Pinkerton) you can just listen to 1 track and get the general idea of their sound for that album. but on make believe alot of the subject matter is related and tells a story about that time in Rivers life. And though Make Believe too has its own sound to it i view it kind of like how i view dark side of the moon an album meant to be listened to as a whole and not just as one track. You deffinatly could just listen to one track on Make believe and injoy it but its gets even better when you listen to it whole and listen to it as a story being told and theyre newer albums dont necessarily have that feels to them like make believe does. Don't get me wrong i love every weezer record ever made but as for new material make believe because it obtains and emotional deepness and a story that is unlike any of the other new albums. Pinkerton defiantly has it to but if we are speaking of newer things id say make believe,

Totally agree with this ...

William Danze said:

You deffinatly could just listen to one track on Make believe and injoy it but its gets even better when you listen to it whole and listen to it as a story being told 

how doesn't maladroit have substance, i really like that album- its no blue or pinkerton but its still much much better than the generic crap on the radio these days, that is what doesn't have any substance.

Gohi said:

I agree with you until your last few lines. "Everyone" and Maladroit are examples of songs that have absolutely no substance and are quite weak. 

The lyrics are all pretty cut-and-dry, what you see is what you get types of things. No real deeper meaning behind any of those songs and they were written as such. This isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, but it's kind of undeniable. Just because they're better than crap on the radio doesn't mean they're good... with that said, that comment was a bit unfair on Maladroit as I really do like most of it.

Gohi said:

The lyrics are all pretty cut-and-dry, what you see is what you get types of things. No real deeper meaning behind any of those songs and they were written as such. This isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, but it's kind of undeniable. Just because they're better than crap on the radio doesn't mean they're good... with that said, that comment was a bit unfair on Maladroit as I really do like most of it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video