Weezer, being the first band that I really got into as a kid, has heavily influenced the evolution of my taste in music. 
Most everything I listen to had some connection to weezer it seems (e.g. Nada surf, pavement, ozma). I am curious if anyone else is like that

Tags: Nada, nostalgia, ozma, pavement, surf, weezer

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Listening to Weezer got me interested in The Pixies when I saw that the Pixies had influenced them, I also got interested in Cage the Elephant, their new album is also heavily influenced by the Pixies. 

Besides that my interests are fairly un-related though, some new alt or indie rock like the Hoosiers, Muse and MGMT, old stuff like Queen and David Bowie and a few other things.

what do you see as the connection between pavement and weezer?
Early 90s alt rock, many bands have been influenced by the two groups together. I guess I always just grouped them together.

berry ◕‿◕ said:
Early 90s alt rock, many bands have been influenced by the two groups together. I guess I always just grouped them together.

berry ◕‿◕ said:

ok - so you liking pavement has nothing to do with weezer.

got it.

Charles said:

I guess I always just grouped them together.

berry ◕‿◕ said:
Not at all. If my entire musical taste was based on one band I'd be very bored. I try to listen to lots of different genres and styles.

I don't really get the Pavement connection either, sorry man.  Pavement makes some strange, not-so-straightforward music, so it's hard for me to compare Weezer to them, because of how structured Weezer is.  Now, I only like 2 Pavement songs, so maybe it's just I don't like Pavement.

But, in response to your question, weezer shaped who I listened to after 1994 (besides those 2 years in high school when I loved Limp Bizkit).  My progression went Weezer, Foo Fighters, Nada Surf, Superdrag, Harvey Danger, No Doubt, Jimmy Eat World, Ozma, The Get Up Kids, Reggie and Full Effect, and then I started venturing into more "indie" and "punk" type music (music that's still rock, but sometimes softer, sometimes much harder than weezer)

berry ◕‿◕ said:

ok - so you liking pavement has nothing to do with weezer.

got it.

Charles said:

I guess I always just grouped them together.

berry ◕‿◕ said:
Not at all; before I liked Weezer I found myself gravitating towards the energy and authenticity of 80's and 90's hardcore punk, alternative rock like The Smiths and modern post-hardcore acts like Thrice (all of which I still listen to a lot). That being said, when I fell head over heels in love with Pinkerton I definitely discovered different ways of appreciating music, which in turn led to the discovery and adulation of albums like The Soft Bulletin, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and Pet Sounds.

nope.  90% of the other stuff i found through weezer never stuck with me.

basically, if you're only listening to bands that either sound like weezer or have toured with weezer, you're missing out on a lot of good music...turn on the (internet) radio

It was mostly my brother that even got me into music. He introduced me to Weezer and mostly everyother band that I listen to.
no other band matches up to weezer's unique sound and quriks, therefore i can't really say there are other bands to listen to that sound like weezer. really man, it's like you got all your music genres (rock, alternative, r&b, etc.), and then there's weezer in a whole individual place. so any band that you try to "connect" to weezer or say that it's based off of weezer, you're wrong, because nothing can be compared to their awesomeness. lol, does that make sense? or is it all blabber? sorry if its confusing, im writing this at 2:30 in the morning and am losing it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video