Hey guys. I've been a Weezer fan since third grade and now I'm in ninth. I guess you could say my older brother got me into Weezer. I enjoy them from Blue Album all the way up to Make Believe with some of the Red Album. I have a question though... Is anyone else sad? Is anyone disappointed the direction the band went in the last couple of years? I can see that they're experimenting with new sounds and that's great but I'll have to admit that I think it's just downright terrible. This is my own opinion though. Weezer kind of reminds me of Kiss when they were experimenting with new sounds. It was a great thing, and people were shocked by some of the moves they make, e.g. removing their makeup, disco, and crappy outfits.

When I think about Kiss I also think about Peter Criss and Ace Frehley. Peter Criss was "fired" or "quit" for drugs and money problems. Ace Frehley left because he didn't like the direction the band was going. Less rock? THAT IS NOT KISS.

Look at Weezer. They're somewhat going the same direction as Kiss. It makes me sick hearing these songs that Weezer sends out to their loving fans. To me they don't even have a Weezer feel to them and it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it, literally.

The greatest experience of my life was when I went to my first Weezer concert around 2006. Damn the Make Believe tour was great. Now all of that is gone. Well, for me it is. I would go to a Weezer concert in a heartbeat if they were like their old selves again. That is all just a dream. I think I missed the events for Blue Album and Pinkerton being replayed. Damn, this is s***. Now you guys are reading this piece of s*** complaint with all of these grammar error and I feel like an ass. Maybe I'm just sad that the world around me is changing and one of the big parts of that world was my older brother and Weezer.

I can also understand that River's is at peace now and he has a family of his own now, so he wouldn't have any need to make sad songs now that he has a happy life. I don't know...maybe it's the fact that they're getting old and they're going from Weezer to Geezer. I'm done now I guess...

Views: 2008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Uh, not to mention the Beatles were only around...what? Eight years?  If they were together longer, statistically, they probably would have put out a less than awesome album.

I am not sure I agree with that. The solo albums from John and Paul are full of great songs. Imagining that they continued on the only thing that would of changed the music was their distaste for each other. But when I think of Nirvana that is what I think of. Had they kept making music I have a feeling it would of started to decline in the same way as Weezer. Some may argue that it was already happening but I love In Utero.

I think it all comes down to Rivers, when Blue was released he really wanted people to understand and relate to his music but most listeners just thought the band was just really wacky and tounge in cheek. I think that's why Pinkerton is the way it is.

Rivers wanted to cut down the b******* and just show the world that he was a serious songwriter that could write great songs without any gimmicks. But with mixed reactions of the album I think he just wanted Weezer to be popular again and that's why he wrote songs like Hash Pipe and did videos with The Muppets. Rivers just tried to do what he thought the average listener loved about Weezer in the first place. But I think that most of the humour and tounge in cheekness in their new songs are very lame and seem forced.

I still love Weezer to death and I see a lot of potential in a new album. I don't think time is the main reason why Weezer has been declining in quality (eg. bands like Radiohead and Green Day have been around just as long as Weezer and still are making great music) it is all about whatever Rivers' thinks is "cool".

Green Day is not making great music.

Yeah - I see what you mean. But I just think some of Paul's later stuff was...meh. I just think all "great" bands are going to falter at some point. I agree with you completely about Nirvana, simply because eventually, grunge had to end. And then there would be the question of if they would adapt or fight the current or....what.

Zach Smith MissingTheCruise:( said:

I am not sure I agree with that. The solo albums from John and Paul are full of great songs. Imagining that they continued on the only thing that would of changed the music was their distaste for each other. But when I think of Nirvana that is what I think of. Had they kept making music I have a feeling it would of started to decline in the same way as Weezer. Some may argue that it was already happening but I love In Utero.

I guess I should've mentioned that their fans and most critics still think highly of their new stuff.

Zach Smith MissingTheCruise:( said:

Green Day is not making great music.

Ehhhhhh, I would still feel the same even if you did mention it lol. In response to Avery. I would say the only real problem I had with late Paul would be that it was pure pop for a lot of it and that can get annoying.

I love their earlier work, but I'm excited to hear everything they do. One thing I love about Weezer is that they aren't content just remaking their past work, but that each album is a new sound, the experimentalness of Red Album (just listen to Dreamin', Greatest Man That Ever Lived, or Angel And The One... I love the production on that album), the 80's influenced Make Believe (every song is pop perfection in my opinion), the energy/sillyness of Raditude, and the Raw/Live sound of Hurley (featuring some of the best Rivers Cuomos vocals in my opinion... and I love the drum machine/key board part of smart girls.. the album has such a lofi sound mixed with the big polished choruses).. I'm not saying their new work is perfect, but I do enjoy it, and listen to all of their post '96 albums as much as Blue and Pinkerton.

Zack Sparrow said:

I think it's safe to say that about 90% of the people still writing on these boards wish Weezer would go back to their Pinkerton-era style. But it just won't happen. Rivers is happily married with a kid. He's getting older, and not having the emotional turmoil he experienced in the Harvard days. They have moved on. I personally thought Hurley was a step in the right direction, as shitty as DTFM was. Putting out Pinkerton DX and going on the Memories tour were smart moves by Rivers, as he knows that the Weezer cult will come out in droves whenever they even hint at going back to the garage and pulling out the old stuff. Personally, Weezer is my favorite band on the planet. I'm with them through thick and thin and I try to appreciate everything they do, even if it's as crappy as Raditude.

^ This guy speaks the truth.

Well, at least, exactly what I was thinking.

OK

I've been posting on Weezer forums since 2003ish, back when Green and Maladroit were the only post pink albums around. Back then, some people defended the new stuff, while most praised albums one and two. Here we are, 9 years and 4 albums later, and its the same story. Blue & Pink vs. everything else. It's almost unbelievable to me that these discussions are still going on. I remember posting so much on Weezernation about this topic on a daily basic for YEARS...and it's still going on. It's sorta sad, knowing that Weezer has yet to put out a 3rd album that pleases all their fans...but at the same time kind of amazing that they created two albums that are SO good that they have a loyal fanbase waiting for a follow up to a record that came out 16 years ago... Funny how life is

Most long lasting bands change their sound and they still sound like Weezer unlike  some albums by other bands 

Sad but true..  Magical era!

Avery Doll said:

No one makes music like the blue album anymore.  It isn't "the thing".  Any band that stays around long enough will change.  Think Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, on and on....

Alternative songs like Say it Ain't So are what i grew up listening to, so they are always my favorite, but no one makes music like that anymore.  I miss it. 

I mean really, there isn't even such a thing as "alternative' anymore.  They call it Indy and emo and a hundred other words I don't care for. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video