Is anyone else here disappointed by Alone III?

I have just been anticipating this album more than anything I can remember.  Most of my favorite Weezer songs were from Alone, Alone II, and along with some other demos from "The Pinkerton Years" (93-97).  Devotion, Superfriend, Walt Disney, Wanda...

When I heard the announcement for Alone III, and that it would contain ONLY songs from "The Pinkerton Years" I was extremely excited.  I was picturing an "Alone" album with only "quality" songs in my eyes (I didn't care for a lot of the later demos on the previous Alone albums, but some were okay).

The first thing that was kind of a "letdown" was the price tag.  I paid nearly 100 dollars for the book and CD.  I imagined it costing 39.99, maybe even 50 dollars, but 75 dollars is pretty steep.  While I also wanted the book, it is kind of a quick read, and was looking much more forward to Alone III.

Besides 2 or 3 new songs on Alone III, the rest of the tracks are either early Pinkerton demos of album tracks, or "songetts" (20-40 second songs).

I would have loved the Pinkerton demos, but all they are to me are poor quality recordings too similar to the album tracks for me to really enjoy them.  I would have loved to hear more of acoustic versions of "No Other One" and "Getchoo", the versions on the album sound basically the same, just really low quality.  I was expecting very different sounding recordings, or at least somewhat different sounding recordings (Like the two different Longtime Sunshines on Alone and Pinkerton Deluxe).

I thought most of the short songs on the Fulton Ave Suite were bad.  I don't really know how to "critique" these, I just didn't care for them.

I guess I was looking forward to an album with more new material, early, different takes on Pinkerton songs, and songs that moved me emotionally the way Devotion and Superfriend did.  And this album really didn't.

There are however a few great tracks.  "What is this I find?" has one of the most beautiful melodies in the middle of the song, and "Now I finally see" is great too.  Lisa is another great track (Seems to be everyone's favorite on the album), but I didn't feel like I found anything on this album really emotional, besides What Is This I Find which I am in love with.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but is anyone else disappointed with this release?  maybe I should just view it as just a bonus to The Pinkerton Diaries...

Views: 2813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've never heard of these songs being recorded by Rivers before: Surfer Girl; Saw You in Your Car; and Sonia

So yes, really

Mrk Jcksn [Mark Jackson] said:

...really?

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

Do you have these songs?  If so, how'd you obtain them?

drewid-boy chicken wing said:

I'm a bit disappointed that a few Pinkerton years demos were not released. Surfer Girl; Saw You in Your Car; and Sonia, Sonia should have been included. There is no exuse for not having them on the album (although in the case of Surfer Girl they hay be some lisencing issues, but I doubt it considering they got the right to put Don't Worry Baby on Alone II (however that WAS released by Geffen so the budget may have been more exuberant that that of Alone III)).

they were recorded the same week as the fulton ave. songs, n00b.

they haven't been released, otherwise farkas would not be disappointed.

I've never heard of these songs being recorded by Rivers before: Surfer Girl; Saw You in Your Car; and Sonia

So yes, really

...really?

I'm a bit disappointed that a few Pinkerton years demos were not released. Surfer Girl; Saw You in Your Car; and Sonia, Sonia should have been included. There is no exuse for not having them on the album (although in the case of Surfer Girl they hay be some lisencing issues, but I doubt it considering they got the right to put Don't Worry Baby on Alone II (however that WAS released by Geffen so the budget may have been more exuberant that that of Alone III)).

thanks l33ter

they were recorded the same week as the fulton ave. songs, n00b.

they haven't been released, otherwise farkas would not be disappointed.

So yes, really

...really?

only a f***** moron would be disappointed with Alone III. It is the best volume of the Alone series. merry xmas.

fyi: rivers held off on releasing "surfer girl' for his all 'covers' volume of Alone. Happy f***** New years. 

who is this f***** moron? what a shitty xmas he will have. i imagine. "Just a 42 inch HDTV. I wanted a f***** 50 inch HDTV, MOM. You moron."

I agree with Gene Simmons. I am happy with just about anything that Weezer or Rivers puts out. I can't get enough. I get whatever they put out and wait for the next gem. I can't wait for what is in store next.

Though, there are things that I would like to hear on this Alone, I hope for them on the future Alone volumes, and I am content with what I get.

about sonia: is that anothers song about a girl because he stated on his website that lisa is the last of the 'jamie, lisa, m&c, susanne songs? So he might never bring it out

It p***** me off when people have unrealistic expectations.  I'm listening to Alone III for the first time right now, there are definitely some gems, don't get me wrong some others sound like 'demos' but most importantly they all have a place in the album. One song really stuck with me, sadly its a short one but nonetheless "longtime sunshine" really surprised me,  it has such an uplifting rock twist to end it. "I'm on fire you're a liar" is one of the stronger songs on this album. Rivers really put emotion into this one, the subtle pauses in between the lyrics are what make it so strong. Other songs like "money makes me happy" are cute but forgettable still worth a listen because we can all relate to it.

Longtime sunshine is the reprises for both longtime sunshine and superfriend. The "rock twist" is just another song. 

vibroxd said:

It p***** me off when people have unrealistic expectations.  I'm listening to Alone III for the first time right now, there are definitely some gems, don't get me wrong some others sound like 'demos' but most importantly they all have a place in the album. One song really stuck with me, sadly its a short one but nonetheless "longtime sunshine" really surprised me,  it has such an uplifting rock twist to end it. "I'm on fire you're a liar" is one of the stronger songs on this album. Rivers really put emotion into this one, the subtle pauses in between the lyrics are what make it so strong. Other songs like "money makes me happy" are cute but forgettable still worth a listen because we can all relate to it.

get out.

Modernslob said:

Alone III would have been a whole lot better without the Fulton Ave Suite songs.Those songs don't fit nicely with the Pinkerton/SFTBH demos.Those would have been better off on an acoustic Alone album as interludes.

What's the name of the other song?

Longtime sunshine is the reprises for both longtime sunshine and superfriend. The "rock twist" is just another song. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video