Is anyone else here disappointed by Alone III?

I have just been anticipating this album more than anything I can remember.  Most of my favorite Weezer songs were from Alone, Alone II, and along with some other demos from "The Pinkerton Years" (93-97).  Devotion, Superfriend, Walt Disney, Wanda...

When I heard the announcement for Alone III, and that it would contain ONLY songs from "The Pinkerton Years" I was extremely excited.  I was picturing an "Alone" album with only "quality" songs in my eyes (I didn't care for a lot of the later demos on the previous Alone albums, but some were okay).

The first thing that was kind of a "letdown" was the price tag.  I paid nearly 100 dollars for the book and CD.  I imagined it costing 39.99, maybe even 50 dollars, but 75 dollars is pretty steep.  While I also wanted the book, it is kind of a quick read, and was looking much more forward to Alone III.

Besides 2 or 3 new songs on Alone III, the rest of the tracks are either early Pinkerton demos of album tracks, or "songetts" (20-40 second songs).

I would have loved the Pinkerton demos, but all they are to me are poor quality recordings too similar to the album tracks for me to really enjoy them.  I would have loved to hear more of acoustic versions of "No Other One" and "Getchoo", the versions on the album sound basically the same, just really low quality.  I was expecting very different sounding recordings, or at least somewhat different sounding recordings (Like the two different Longtime Sunshines on Alone and Pinkerton Deluxe).

I thought most of the short songs on the Fulton Ave Suite were bad.  I don't really know how to "critique" these, I just didn't care for them.

I guess I was looking forward to an album with more new material, early, different takes on Pinkerton songs, and songs that moved me emotionally the way Devotion and Superfriend did.  And this album really didn't.

There are however a few great tracks.  "What is this I find?" has one of the most beautiful melodies in the middle of the song, and "Now I finally see" is great too.  Lisa is another great track (Seems to be everyone's favorite on the album), but I didn't feel like I found anything on this album really emotional, besides What Is This I Find which I am in love with.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but is anyone else disappointed with this release?  maybe I should just view it as just a bonus to The Pinkerton Diaries...

Views: 2817

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it really should be looked at as a full album like the previous ones in the series, but as a collection of demos that act as a companion to the book. 

No

Don't agree.

Won't pick apart everything said, to each his own etc. but I'm not a fan of the trashing the Fulton Ave. Suite is getting by some folks. "We like our Weezer raw and unpolished!" has been the war cry of every 90s Weezer fan since said decade came to a close. They get something very raw and unpolished in the form of these songs, and they complain?

Short songs is still songs, I'll say. Alone III reminds me vaguely of Beck's early cassettes before he was signed with Geffen - 8-10 standard-length songs that wouldn't have been out of place on his other albums backed with strange songs, short songs, funny songs, conversations, samples, etc. etc. etc. I'm a really big fan of the format and was glad to see something similar out of the Weezer camp, even if it was maybe done out of necessity.

Beyond that, stuff like "I'm On Fire, You're A Liar" is so intimate and real that it can be almost unnerving to listen to. Everything here has this really cool quality that would be lost if the songs were expanded into the standard three and a half minute power-pop Weezer song. To me, I can't picture a better way to hear "Money Makes Me Happy" than the guy singing live to tape for those 52 seconds.

I'll also say that I'll take anything I can get by artists I love, really. The fanciest Pro-Tools recordings in the fanciest hundreds-of-dollars-an-hour studios with the fanciest producers named Rubin something or other to recordings of one of the guys playing a song idea into their tape recorder 15 years ago and everything in between. This isn't a "You should blindly love everything!" defense, but more of a counter to those hearing a short song and dismissing it, saying "Why bother to release this at all?"

The demos of stuff that made Pinkerton and its singles all have tons and tons of subtle differences that may not be apparent upon first listen. Give 'em another shot. :)

That's all, I s'pose. Like I said, to each his own, etc. but I'm a fan of how it turned out.

I'm a bit disappointed that a few Pinkerton years demos were not released. Surfer Girl; Saw You in Your Car; and Sonia, Sonia should have been included. There is no exuse for not having them on the album (although in the case of Surfer Girl they hay be some lisencing issues, but I doubt it considering they got the right to put Don't Worry Baby on Alone II (however that WAS released by Geffen so the budget may have been more exuberant that that of Alone III)).

We were all pertty bummed out about that whole development. Who knew the millenium would bring such horrible music.

Also - I agree with you,I like it a lot!

runnersdialzero said:

Don't agree.

every 90s Weezer fan since said decade came to a close.

LoveJoyDiver - I pretty much agree with that you said 100%. Minus the sound quality of some of the tracks, that doesn't really bother me.

I was just hoping for more "full" songs instead of fragments. I was also really looking forward to Rivers version of "I Just Threw Out The Love Of My Dreams". Wonder why it was removed...

For $100 it should have a lot more full songs

Eh. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, I enjoy most of what they've done to varying extents, but yeah.

Avery Doll said:

We were all pertty bummed out about that whole development. Who knew the millenium would bring such horrible music.

Also - I agree with you,I like it a lot!

runnersdialzero said:

Don't agree.

every 90s Weezer fan since said decade came to a close.

It wasn't a hundred dollar CD.

Indiekid said:

For $100 it should have a lot more full songs

No. I love it.

Do you have these songs?  If so, how'd you obtain them?

drewid-boy chicken wing said:

I'm a bit disappointed that a few Pinkerton years demos were not released. Surfer Girl; Saw You in Your Car; and Sonia, Sonia should have been included. There is no exuse for not having them on the album (although in the case of Surfer Girl they hay be some lisencing issues, but I doubt it considering they got the right to put Don't Worry Baby on Alone II (however that WAS released by Geffen so the budget may have been more exuberant that that of Alone III)).

...really?

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

Do you have these songs?  If so, how'd you obtain them?

drewid-boy chicken wing said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video