I'm wondering if there are any other academics poking around on this site. This 'nerd' thing has been taken to its extreme in my case: I find myself pursuing a PhD! Holey-Moley! I would love to  establish communications with other academics - let's consider the extent to which an early Weezer influence contributed to a commitment to the nerd lifestyle par excellance.

What do you study?

While contemporary analytic metaphysics & logic are my main research interests, I have spent the last few years seriously studying the works of Friedrich Nietzsche. In my spare time I've been working on an essay comparing Pinkerton to Nietzsche's 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'. Have you ever seen those 'Philosophy of such-and-such' books? Like Philosophy and the Simpsons or whatnot... Well, I'm good friends with the gentleman who edited and wrote for the 'Philosophy and Steven Colbert' book, and after discussing it with him I've had the idea to collect essays on Weezer in philosophy. I'm writing mine....... let me see what you've got!

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Without music, life would be a mistake"

:]

I'm a dentist. While not in the "academic" field I still offer a rare service: medical care to the beat of a 30 song weezer iPod playlist throughout the day.

i'm writing up my PhD right now. i have 20 weeks to get it done.

least.fun.ever.

What is the subject of your dissertation?

'Least-fun-ever': that's part of my concern. Do you think one's academic inclinations are necessarily disproportionate to the rock-n-roll in their heart? The shows last weekend kicked me in the teeth, making me think that, in some ways, these years in academia have sterilized me. How can scholarly pursuits become so mundane?

berry rydell said:

least.fun.ever.

hemispheric asymmetry in visual word recognition.

the bulk of my PhD hasn't been the least bit mundane. i find research exciting. however, as with any profession, there are things you enjoy doing more than others. i enjoy writing much less than the practical aspects of research.

Crystal P. {Space Cadet} said:

'Least-fun-ever': that's part of my concern. Do you think one's academic inclinations are necessarily disproportionate to the rock-n-roll in their heart? The shows last weekend kicked me in the teeth, making me think that, in some ways, these years in academia have sterilized me. How can scholarly pursuits become so mundane?

berry rydell said:

least.fun.ever.

Like Brandon, I feel entitled to respond to this even though I'm not getting a PhD. I'm currently working on my PharmD, however, and I may decide to get an MPH after that...

Best wishes on completion.

Certainly every profession has its downside. Technical writing can be a bummer. But the skill comes in handy often outside of my professional work. I suppose my biggest concern is that I entered philosophy taking it to be the unifying element between my love of music, of literature, and of life. However, analytic writing extinguishes any element of myself in my writing. And the only future for an academic philosopher is... academia!

Whoa! Hold your horses! I just need to rock....

And I am seriously concerned about the extent to which academia and rock-n-roll are mutually exclusive!

berry rydell said:

hemispheric asymmetry in visual word recognition.

the bulk of my PhD hasn't been the least bit mundane. i find research exciting. however, as with any profession, there are things you enjoy doing more than others. i enjoy writing much less than the practical aspects of research.

Crystal P. {Space Cadet} said:

berry rydell said:

least.fun.ever.

Maybe I should direct my concerns to Greg Graffin.....
Well, I'm in all honors classes, if that counts for anything. 

Interesting!

I just completed my Master's degree in English. I also have an honours B.A. degree in English Literature and Philosophy.

I absolutely love creative writing. However, it's a one in a million shot of actually making a career in "the arts." I have one publication available in Chapters and Coles, and I certainly hope to publish more works in the near future. I currently teach University undergrads, but creative writing is where it's at for me.

starting my masters in july.

starting my phd in 2014 (hopefully)  

tropical marine ecology and fisheries biology

have a little bit of time before i decide on a research topic, but i'm hoping it will deal with either coral reefs or cephalopods...who knows...

forgot about this thread. i finished my PhD and passed my viva in november.

AH YEAH

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video