I know Weezer used to work exclusively with analog recording, but have recently switched over toward digital. And while recording today, I was really wondering what kind of a drop off, quality wise, there is between the transition of analog and digital. 

What do you really lose? 

Views: 320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know, I'd have to go with Apples... they don't have a peel, and they taste better when dipped in caramel :)
I would any day prefer digital recording in comparison to the analog recording facility that's because with digital the recording is much clearer and the longevity of the recording is preserved for a longer duration.

Mathew
[url=http://www.comnez.com/]website design and development[/url]
In my opinion, Digital Recording will never have a "real" vibe. When you are all together in a room jamming and recording and having fun you really get that true feeling that good bands look for. Most of the mainstream bands you hear on the radio are digital and that's why they are lacking the emotion of most good bands.
From the way Brian described the recording sessions for Hurley, my guess is that most of the music was played with the band jamming in a room and recording... From the pictures inside the liners for the Red Album, I'd assume the same about it as well. I'd dare say much of the music you hear on the radio is preformed "live" by the band in the studio. Vocals, guitar solos, and effects are generally dubbed later (generally but not always). The method of recording is determined by the band and the engineer, not the medium. You can just as easily record live spontaneous jam seasons on digital as you can on analog. Like wise most dubbing and editing done in digital can also be accomplished with analog (although it is more labor intensive).

The big debate between digital and analog is whether digital produces as accurate of a reproduction as analog does, particularly after bouncing the tracks down to a manageable size.

Corey Gregory said:
In my opinion, Digital Recording will never have a "real" vibe. When you are all together in a room jamming and recording and having fun you really get that true feeling that good bands look for. Most of the mainstream bands you hear on the radio are digital and that's why they are lacking the emotion of most good bands.
I don't notice a difference. We use digital recording. We've never really tried analog.
I think you misunderstand. A band can record "digitally" but be in a room together jamming and recording. We're talking about the difference between recording via analog medium: ie: Reel-to-Reel Tape, vs. recording via a digital medium, ie: into a hard-drive through a Pro Tools set up. Neither one is more "real" and neither one has any bearing at all whatsoever on the emotional content of the music.

Corey Gregory said:
cassette tapes are the best
Many years ago when CDs first became available, the quality of the sound was widely praised for it's sharpness and clarity compared to analog. Now, people are referring back to analog, in my opinion, for all the wrong reasons. In today's world, there has been a lot of abuse and misuse with the tools that people have had access to when it comes to digital mastering. This is why we see digital audio having so many distortion peaks and a lot of odd digital effects that take away from the true concept of the original recording. However, I stick with digital - because it's less of a hassle to use unlike analog, which is really outdated and has no real benefits for the wide market anymore. There aren't many places that make and sell a reel-to-reel, a tape deck, or record player anymore. If anything, you'll find used machines. Analog isn't the future anymore. I don't care how "warm" analog sounds - because that "warm" feeling is not really a good excuse to embrace analog sound since the sharpness and clarity unequivocally lack compared to digital. If you miss the warm sound, the best opinion is to go get an independent equalizer.
I think the best way to solve this is to do an independent blind test - have someone play an analog piece and a digital piece. I've read in a lot of places that no one could tell the difference between analog and digital - but people still stand by this myth and that analog is far superior to digital. These people are probably the same ones who refuse to upgrade their record/tape collection to CDs/mp3s since the 1980s/90s.
If I had to choose, I personally love the aural warmth analog recording provides. But, there are ways to achieve 'warmth' when recording digitally and I'm just being an elitist audiophile.

Chuck Brewer said:
If I had to choose, I personally love the aural warmth analog recording provides. But, there are ways to achieve 'warmth' when recording digitally and I'm just being an elitist audiophile.

Yes, I do think you are an elitist audiophile :-P

Chuck Brewer said:

Unfortunately we're living in a world where people prefer simplicity over quality. I'm starting to think that individuals who still buy physical CD's over mp3's (or steal mp3's) are elitist audiophiles...

I believe that digital can sound as good as analog in the master form, the problem is that digital has to be compressed to achieve a usable file size. Whereas with analog, the reproduction onto vinyl is the same as the master. That being said, I think overall CD's are fantastic for music that was recorded digitally, but when it comes to the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc, nothing beats the original vinyl!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video