Prior to the 2010 FIFA World Cup the US Men's soccer team,  Weezer released "Represent," a song which would be made in to a music video.  It encaptured the US Men's team's path to qualification - after getting demolished multiple times by Mexico, but played a CONCAF qualification displaying a series' of glorious comeback and brilliant goals by a US Men's team, eventually edging out a win over a dominant Panama and then a tie with Honduras - the US Men's team qualified for the 2010 world cup.

Analysts and oddsmakers saw this as a fluke and placed the US team dead last behind, Algeria, Slovenia, and the behemoth of the group - England as they entered the group stage. 

I was in Boston at the time and found the best sports bars I could find.  England VS US was accordingly heavily favored to beat the United States - they displayed dominance throughout the game, dispite barely touching the ball, the US team went on to tie England with sheer energy and determination.  Another fluky game in favor of the United States. While it wasn't a victory, the song "Represent" was played once at the bar relatively unnoticed.

The US men's team next game in the group stage with a tie with Slovenia.  It all came down to one game - USA VS Algera. With England already qualified, the Algerians were favored to beat the US.

Team USA once again the underdog, I was at the same bar - this time packed.  The Algerians dominated the ball most of the game, but the United States survived flustering them defensively and saving goals, never able to mount an offense of their own.  With approximately 80 seconds left in the game and the game headed to draw, Landon Donovan got the ball, zoomed through the 3 quarters of the field on the right wing, as the Algerians swarmed Donovan as he approached scoring distance, Donacan kicked a cross that landed in front of a charging Dempsey who tapped the ball towards the goal, ricocheted by the Algerian goal keeper, Donacan flies in and knocks it in scoring perhaps the most prolific, last second goal of the entire World Cup.  The US team swarmed.  The crowd at the bar was deafening, and song blasted over the loudspeakers - it wasn't Queen or Shakira.  It was Represent by Weezer, and it was song by the crowd with ferocity.  and Algeria.  A moment of pure surreal jubilation by a rampant crowd as we screamed every damn word.  I can still recall getting beer spilled on me from a rowdy fan screaming "THAT IS HOW WE PLAY THE GAME, blah nah the family"  and loved every moment.  USA had won the group for the first time since 1930.

---------------------

Fast forward to 2013, US men's soccer team is on the largest win streak in the world in international play (11 consecutive wins, no draws, no losses), with wins over Germany and Spain in recent years, already firmly qualified for the FIFA World Cup 2014, with one last showdown against Mexico on September 10th, a win would place the US men's team in to the top 15 in the world.

US men's team stars play in the start in the best leagues all across europe and the MLS attracts stars from all around the country.  Though of of course they are still counted out, sitting as 150 to 1 underdogs to win it all.  You can call me crazy, but I think the US men's team can do it - they can win the world cup, but (as I see it) the only way is with more =w= magic.  America needs you Weezer!  Will you answer it's call?

Views: 553

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, weezer magic and every other team being magically disqualified

Psh! Pssshhhhh!

Just like the group stage in 2010?  They are lucky to be in any of the 8 groups they said.  'Little chance the yanks make it (english accent)'

Interject =w=, BOOM, BOOOOOM! they won the group!  Do you not watch the games?

And this isn't the same team as 2010, not even close, 11 WINS (no draws) in a row for the US B team against all these other international A teams.  To paraphrase some band or something, 'they didn't just get in this position by happenstance, and they'll work their bones beyond their limit just to have half a chance.'

And all the guys have gotten so much better over the last 3 years.  Not just the guys that are playing right now buy Bradley,  Jermaine Jones, Altidore Howard, back in protecting the goal - everyone EVERYONE of them is better. 

Then add =w= magic.  Bring it the world, bring it.

oh, we will. we will. 

Weezter Sunday said:

Bring it the world, bring it.

berry_rydell [berry_rydell] said:

oh, we will. we will. 

Weezter Sunday said:

premier league, baby 

AH YEAH

if-i-were-an-orange said:

oh, we will. we will. 

Weezter Sunday said:

::Yawn:: - ENGLISH premiere league.  Maybe England and US meet again in 2014... good luck mates.

2010 FIFA World Cup Final Group Standing

i'm not english (nor an england supporter) but w/e!

Weezter Sunday said:

::Yawn:: - ENGLISH premiere league.  Maybe England and US meet again in 2014... good luck mates.

2010 FIFA World Cup Final Group Standing

getting back on topic - op, your post sounds like a call to arms but what is it that you want weezer to do?

Though of of course they are still counted out, sitting as 150 to 1 underdogs to win it all.  You can call me crazy, but I think the US men's team can do it - they can win the world cup, but (as I see it) the only way is with more =w= magic.  America needs you Weezer!  Will you answer it's call?

obviously all the players listen to weezer. a new song will inspire them to win...or at least not lose

getting back on topic - op, your post sounds like a call to arms but what is it that you want weezer to do?

Though of of course they are still counted out, sitting as 150 to 1 underdogs to win it all.  You can call me crazy, but I think the US men's team can do it - they can win the world cup, but (as I see it) the only way is with more =w= magic.  America needs you Weezer!  Will you answer it's call?

they couldn't just listen to the old one? an entirely new one is required?

Kilmister [spaz] said:

obviously all the players listen to weezer. a new song will inspire them to win...or at least not lose

there was an old song?

we're people of very limited attention spans, whatever happened 3 years ago is way too old to use again

they couldn't just listen to the old one? an entirely new one is required?

Kilmister [spaz] said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video