1. Weezer (1994) - It's really hard to decide between Blue and Pinkerton, but ultimately, Blue is the essential Weezer album. Together, the variety of the tracks create a perfect balance of pure fun and passion, and coming from the peak of Weezer's writing career (sadly), the album is flawless.

2. Pinkerton (1996) - Without a doubt, the most passionate Weezer record. Pinkerton opens up with one of the most emotional Weez songs, "Tired of Sex"—at first listen, you know you're in for something different than Blue. The album carries on with equally thoughtful and sincere tracks—all just as raw and passionate. With frequent mood swings (though constant themes), and several moments of comic relief and wit, we are once again provided with a variety-packed album. Take the closer, "Butterfly," for instance—after nine aggressive tracks, Pinkerton concludes with this remorseful, acoustic ballad that provides more depth then ever into Rivers' emotions. Again, every song is brilliant.

3. Maladroit (2002) - I think Maladroit's favorable reception was so delayed because it doesn't (at first listen, at least) have that general Weezer sound. "Keep Fishin'" teased fans of another fun, catchy record, and when listeners discovered the harder, edgy sound of the rest of the album, many—including myself—were thrown off. However, I, as I imagine others did too, put my expectations aside and gave the album another try. Soon enough the songs grew on me and I eventually realized they were just as catchy as those on Blue and Pinkerton—in their own way, of course. Seriously, this album has some great songs—none ranking below average. Highlights: "American Gigolo," "Death and Destruction," "Burndt Jamb," "Possibilities," "Love Explosion," and "December."

4. Hurley (2010) Hurley is Weezer's semi-return to form after a series of ineffectual and experimental albums. The album's overall sound is like a cross between Pinkerton and The Green Album—the songs are either genuinely representative of classic Weezer (honest emotions; strong vocal hooks; and raw, alternative catchiness), unexciting but not annoying, or somewhere in betweendepending on taste and tolerance. Overall, Hurley does not have any disasters or failures—a significant step up and distinction from the preceding three albums. Because of this, and because of the bundle of exceptional stand-out tracks, Hurley exceeds even The Green Album. Highlights are: "Ruling Me," "Unspoken," and "Hang On."

5. Weezer (2001) - The Green Album is a concise (28 minutes total) assortment of bland lyrics and generic pop rock. Without any risks, none of songs are particularly bad—they're just not (for the most part) particularly good, either. On the other hand, this consistency of moderate quality provides for an especially pleasant album-flow. In the end, however, consistency and comprehension are not enough to save this album from being boring. Highlights are: "Photograph," "Island In The Sun," and "Simple Pages."

6. Raditude (2009) - As far as present-day mainstream pop-music goes, Raditude is as good as it gets. Although Weezer's subject matter has gone from personal struggles and youthful angst to, well, partying, and their sound from raw alternative pop-rock to electronica-influenced power-pop on this album, Raditude still has something Weezer about it. If you set aside the empty lyrics and your longing for the fulfillment that Pinkerton provides, you may actually wind up having a very fun listen. Furthermore, tracks like "Tripping Down The Freeway" and "Let It All Hang Out," despite their atrocious titles, actually have (dare I say it) that Blue Album spirit. Overall, Raditude, considering the suffering many Weezer fans have become accustomed to and prepared for, is not a complete disappointment. However, "I'm Your Daddy's" drum machine-backed beat, "Love is the Answer" (DO judge this song by its title), and Lil Wayne's cameo on "Can't Stop Partying" (yes, you read all of that correctly) prevent Raditude from being a predominantly successful album. Highlights are: "The Girl Got Hot," "Tripping Down The Freeway," and "Let It All Hang Out."

7. Weezer (2008) - No matter how good The Red Album's "Troublemaker," "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived," and "Dreamin'" are, they do not compensate for the record's off songs. Red is wildly and unsuccessfully experimentalit just isn't "Weezer" when supporting bandmates Brian Bell, Scott Shriner, or Pat Wilson sing instead of frontman Rivers Cuomo, whose vocals very much embody Weezer's sound. In addition, these songs (with the exclusion of Wilson's "Automatic" and the inclusion of Cuomo's painfully corny rap-rock "Everybody Get Dangerous") are just generally weird and unsettling—"Cold Dark World," Shriner's creepy girl-stalking anthem (seriously), being the prime example. Highlights are: "Troublemaker," "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived," "Pork and Beans," and "Dreamin'."

8. Make Believe (2005) - Make Believe is almost like Green. Unlike Red, there is a consistency, but instead of Green's "okay" quality, these songs are only subpar. "Perfect Situation," "Hold Me," and "The Other Way" are no better than the average Green song, but songs like "My Best Friend," "We Are All On Drugs," and "Freak Me Out," make them seem exceptional. Ultimately, that consistency of subpar quality puts this album last. Highlights (I suppose...) are "Perfect Situation," "This Is Such A Pity," "Hold Me," and "The Other Way."

Views: 1318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice I agree 100% with the rankings and really like the explanations especially letting Maladroit grow on you I felt the exact same way... Hard to see such a strong album as Green at 5 but then again, how do you put it ahead of Hurley and Maladroit.
I would add to the highlights of Maladroit "Slave" and Raditude "I don't want to let you go" Green "Smile" and "O Girlfriend" I just think any fan should listen to those tracks.. Just my two cents but GREAT POST!
Nice write up. I like.

For me:

1. Blue. I can listen to this record any time, any day. I was 17 when it was released and it literally changed my view on music. Lyrically, brilliant. I've always said that Blue was emo without being emo. TWHTALMH was a song that I desperately needed at the time and remains my favorite Weezer song. I also think it was Rivers' finest lyrical masterpiece. Find me a better metaphor for being dumped by someone you love. I dare you ;)

2. Pinkerton. All kinds of brilliance on one record. We're talking a cake of emotion topped with emotion icing. One of the most important albums of the 90's. It really is Rivers' personal masterpiece.

3. SFTBH. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know it wasn't released but from what I pieced together, it's still an absolutely phenomenal collection of songs. Blast Off! is a rocker, Superfriend is quintessential Weezer. It truly is a tragedy we didn't get this album as it was intended.

4. Maladroit. Straight up rockin' album. I know some people poo poo on it, but I will defend it to the end. Slave is lyrically vintage Rivers and remains my favorite track on the album.

5. Hurley. Step in the right direction with some solid songs. Really like Hang On, very anthem-y. Also dig All My Friends are Insects.

6. Green. I remember how unbelieveably stoked I was when I heard it was going to be released. Definitely used to gain confidence. I think Glorious Day is the stand out track.

7. Red. TGMTEL is proof that Rivers can still bust out the gems when he wants to.

8. Make Believe. I know more than a few people like this record. It's always been just okay for me. I do really like Hold Me and The Damage in Your Heart.

9. Raditude. Put Me Back Together is my favorite off the record. I think Raditude was a true experiment for Rivers in collaboration.
Yeah, I actually really like the lyrics to "O Girlfriend." I think I would have preferred if it were acoustic though. Thank you for your positive feedback!

Chuck Yorio said:
I would add to the highlights of Maladroit "Slave" and Raditude "I don't want to let you go" Green "Smile" and "O Girlfriend" I just think any fan should listen to those tracks.. Just my two cents but GREAT POST!
1. Pinkerton
2. Blue
3. Hurley
4. Maladroit
5. Red
6. Green
7. Make Believe
8. Raditude

I guess everything between Green and Red are tied. But Rad is def in back. Hurley is def in front.
1. Pinkerton: I switch up these top 2 all the time. (10/10)
2. Blue: Once again, this could easily be 1, I flip-flop all the time. (10/10)
3. Make Believe: This is an extremely underrated, consistent album. Only real subpar song is My Best Friend. (8/10)
4. Hurley: This is Weezer's first consistent album since Make Believe. (8/10)
5. Red: The Angel and the One and Pork and Beans are amazing, but songs like Cold Dark World drag this one down. (7/10)
6. Maladroit: I love Dope Nose, Keep Fishin', Take Control, and Slave. (7/10)
7. Green: I like this album, but it's gotten so boring to me. It's consistent, but there's no variety tracks 5-10. (7/10)
8. Raditude: This album makes me barf. This is the only Weezer album I can't listen to, although I do love I Want You To and Trippin' Down the Freeway. (4/10)
There is an acoustic version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNkQMVWkNgM

nrezeewg said:
Yeah, I actually really like the lyrics to "O Girlfriend." I think I would have preferred if it were acoustic though. Thank you for your positive feedback!

Chuck Yorio said:
what is it with the obsession of ranking albums? can you guys really not think about music other than in strictly linear, 'x is better than y' terms?
Ever since reading Nick Hornby's High Fidelity I've loved "Top 5" lists, and "ranking" favorites for that matter. There is no harm in choosing favorites -- it's a natural human instinct. It's not like I get thrills looking at people's ordered lists of favorite Weezer albums, but when thought out explanations are provided, I enjoy the opportunity to perceive and relate to fellow fans. They're often very interesting and insightful.

berry rydell said:
what is it with the obsession of ranking albums? can you guys really not think about music other than in strictly linear, 'x is better than y' terms?
ouch :(

fvck said:
berry rydell said:

berry_rydell > berry rydell > berryrydell
1. Blue: Just beats out Pinkerton. Its a fun record with soooo much depth

2. Pinkerton: So much emotion and clearly the best album lyrically. Only down side would probably be Getchoo. I just never liked it

3. Hurley: Ultimately, Hurley doesn't have Weezers best tracklist, but the highs are pretty high, and the lows aren't bad at all.

4. Maladroit: Weezer getting edgy and heavier after Green was a huge shock to me, but I love it all the same. This may switch places with Hurley after the initial new album hype wears off.

5. Red: So much potential to be amazing, but the lows were just to awfully low. However, TGMTEL and Pork and Beans may be the two best post-Pink songs imo.

6. Make Believe: I never believed that this album was bad. Great songs, with the only truely skippable songs being My Best Friend and WAAOD, depending on my mood.

7. Green: NOT A BAD ALBUM. But personally, I don't like the whole musical direction with this album. It was obvious that Rivers was trying too hard to avoid another Pinkerton, and it ruined his creativity.

8 Raditude: ALSO NOT A BAD ALBUM. I think Weezer has always been a pop band, and the problem isn't that Rivers tried to make pop gems. I think pop music in general has just changed, and most Weezer fans can't aee that there are some gems here. However, In The Mall is terrible;..
1. Pinkerton: Bold. Complex. Raw and rough in ways that are challenging at first but become that much more addictive once you let this album really sink in.

2. Blue: Confident, powerful, simple. And each song builds to an incredible crescendo that has me singing a satisfying "YEAH!" right along with Rivers.

3. Red: I breathed a sigh of relief on hearing TGMTEL and Troublemaker, knowing that Rivers could still sing with confidence and attitude. Also, his voice sounds good again, and Weezer is finally having genuine, free-spirited fun again. The cringe-inducing stinkers on this album weren't enough to ruin the joy for me. And Miss Sweeney is particularly beautiful, IMO.

4. Maladroit: This album's soul is in the guitar solos, which are all fantastic. Dope Nose is just as good as anything Weezer has done, IMO, and this, minus a few stinkers, is a rocking record. I only wish Rivers' voice didn't sound so strained and whiny.

5. Hurley: Unspoken had me cheering because, unlike most of Weezer's more current offerings, it sounds like a song that could be genuinely coming from a 40 year old man. I want authenticity. The rest of the record is (as many have said) a semi-return to form. Which is a good thing. Hurley is enjoyable, but the downside is, it just feels like a step in the right direction, rather than fully committing to that direction like many fans really want.

6. Green: Hash Pipe is another classic, an original song sung with passion. The strength of the rest of Green is that it all sounds good and it all has that signature indefinable Weezer sound. The downside, it's lacking in passion and feels by-the-numbers. Still, a good album.

7. Make Believe: Unlike most longtime fans, I like Beverly Hills and think it sounds great - as long as I ignore the vapid lyrics. And Peace is beautiful, IMO. Other than that, the rest of the record is unpretty and whiny sounding.

8. Raditude: A trend-chasing ungenuine piece of trash. Rivers had been listening to a lot of bubble gum pop music before he made this, and it shows. This feels like a weird faded copy of half of everything that's on the radio, and I hate it. Instead of chasing trends and using "tropes," I want Weezer to blaze a new trail, look deep inside, and follow their own genius. Or, at least, listen to some really good music before making their next record.... Having said that, TPGITWWW is awesome, and I'm glad it was included, even if only in the Deluxe edition.
Ranked without ranking or explanation. I guess I'll call it categorizing.

Pinkerton-love
Blue-love
Red-love
Green-like
Maladroit-like
Make Believe-ok
Raditude-ok
Hurley-growing on me

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL