I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2199

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Good call on Cribs for whoever said that. Songs like "Mirror Kissers", Martel and Hey Scenesters! are great
Rivers... I've never been a big Pink Floyd fan myself. You also have a lot of good selections and a lot to read, but whenever I need to write or edit anything I always turn to Sigur Ros. Any of there albums, but there is something about there music that helps me and inspires me. Pop in one of there albums. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
its pretty cool to see Alice Cooper getting some love on this thread. He's written some great songs. I would suggest

Alice Cooper - School's Out (album)

The Alice cooper band was most successful when writing about things must people go through. Rivers, you might really the school's out album, as it is a 'concept' album and takes a lot of sound ideas from west side story. some crazy keyboards/moogs in there as well.

RIVERS, you've never listened to Pink Floyd??? I find that hard to believe. This seems like a total troll post!
Fricken love Pink Floyd! Do it.
Definitely try listening to the classic rock stuff.
Yeah get the Devastator to give you some Floyd records. Check out Quadrophenia by The Who. In fact, all Who albums. Also Queen, Journey, and Wings.
Def think Pink Floyd is a good choice.

Check out " The Wall" noice rock opera.

Darkside of the moon too...That's obvious. I think that direction would be GREAT for weezer.

Also,

Band on the run - Paul Mccartney
----All things QUEEN imo
Tommy - The Who - Another good rock opera
Been listening to a lot of Canadian Montreal/Vancouver stuff lately.

Namely Wolf Parade, Land of Talk, Japandroids and Library Voices. None of these bands are really selling out stadiums or anything but they've become quite popular in the great white north and beyond and tour the bar and club scene pretty extensively.

Rivers I highly recommend you try listening to some Library Voices, it's a band from the middle of nowhere really (Saskatchewan) but they've developed a pretty interesting pop sound with some pretty unconventional instruments.

Some notable songs

Step Off the Map and Float
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4x-B5y8jDA

Party Like it's 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yOoyGsWSHk
my suggestion? Stop writing and just release ALL of your demos. not just full songs, all of them.

Daniel Gasparini ( Danorganplaye said:
Def think Pink Floyd is a good choice.

Check out " The Wall" noice rock opera.

Darkside of the moon too...That's obvious. I think that direction would be GREAT for weezer.

Also,

Band on the run - Paul Mccartney
----All things QUEEN imo
Tommy - The Who - Another good rock opera

A Few more my good man:

The White Stripes

Both album's absolution and blackholes and revelations by MUSE

Albums by The Eagles ( hell Don Henley loves weezer) Hotel California awesome awesome song.

I think you really need to look at classic rock music, not the single cliche stuff. I'm talking albums that are critically acclaimed, poetic, catchy, deep, story driven, and full of musical nuances.

Awesome that you are asking our opinions tho!

Godspeed Ace!
It's funny because Pinkerton would be my answer 99.99% of the time, but considering who's asking, I have to think of something else. Hmmm...

Just pick something from the Ben Kweller section, sit back, enjoy.

Not exactly "epic," though... so don't mind me.
I know you aren't a fan of radiohead but honestly their are a few songs that are good examples of epic rock...or just great music in general songwriting wise.

The music, melody, and lyrics of - Fake plastic trees

The epic rock nature of - Paranoid android

The music in - No surprises

and the pure emotion in " Street spirit - fade out"

Again I must stress, listening to Pink floyd for influence is a very smart move on your part.
I feel like im spamming the crap out of this but..

Purification of the water - that song has that epic spacey, awesome rock feel. The lyrics are poetic enough too, kinda makes me think of a pink floyd/weezer combo

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video