I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2196

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rivers,

I have gotten so much joy out of listening to these Beach Boys albums:
1. Pet Sounds (of course)
2. Smiley Smile
3. Friends (especially the song "Little Bird")

There are plenty of other good ones, but those are probably my top three.

Also, T-Rex Albums are great!

Have you heard of Harry Parch? Check him out. He built all of his instruments for the compositions, because traditional musical instruments couldn't play the music he wanted to compose. He was a farmer from the mid-west too.

And, Flaming Lips - "At War with the Mystics"
And, Starlight Mints - "The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of"

Good Luck!

Peace,
A.J.
Oh, and one of the most epic experiences, if that's what you are looking for, is "The Who's Tommy" on double-vinyl, the original recordings from the movie, which has all the actors singing.

It is incredible.

Peace,
A.j.
Jellyfish- Spilt Milk

Absolutely amazing power-pop album. A lot going on in this one, and at times it definitely has an epic rock sound along the lines of Queen (if you just want one track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojV8kNfWK8)
Also, if you're not against listening to some Japanese music for influence, "Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana" (加爾基 精液 栗ノ花) by Shiina Ringo is a pretty mindblowing album as well.

There's definitely all kinds out there as you certainly know. If there's a more specific kind of sound or tone you're going for let us know so we can be a bit more specific :)
1. Teenager of the Year ... Frank Black
2. Breakfast with the Girls ... Self
3. Butcher's Ballroom ... Diablo Swing Orchestra
4. Tiny Music ... Stone Temple Pilots

Plenty of content in those four albums to get the creative juices flowing.
Any concept album. Something really epic and involves storytelling would be good to listen to.
Ben Folds. Specifcally, Supersunnyspeedgraphic.

That, and everything Beatles. Early, mid, late, all.

If you want a specific Beatles album: Rubber Soul. If you want even more specific, Side 2 of Abbey Road is perfection sonically.

Whoever said Tommy is also correct.
I think you should give Paul Weller a listen. He's really influenced me and he has really rock songs but also really emotional songs. I recommend the albums "Wild Wood" and "Stanley Road". Also "22 Dreams" is one i think you would enjoy, lots of emotional piano, acoustic and string fillers but also some pop-rock full length singles.
A lot of people would probably get upset for me to mention this (but I'm going to be different)... Infinity on High by FOB, anything by the White Stripes, I really like Ben Folds Way to Normal but a lot of people seem to think that's one of his weaker albums (it's perfect imo), as people have said Beatles, Beach Boys (obviously)... I already know you have heard Viva La vida but have you heard Prospekt's March (their EP, especially the songs Glass of Water, Postcards and Feet won't touch the ground)... Ludo's first two albums are good.

Mute math's armistice is great. Love the new Arcade Fire album. And yes Pink Floyd.

Oh yeah and your boy Runners did this awhile back :)...

http://www.myspace.com/homieproject

The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me by Brand New, pretty smooth stuff.

All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone by Explosions in the Sky, pretty moving.

Everything All the Time by Band of Horses, pretty neat stuff.

As for Pink Floyd, I've never been a fan.
You should listen to Pinkerton. That should be your influence.

i think absolutely think its time for weezer to do a rock opera where the songs all blend together and morph into each other. would love to see that.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video