I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2198

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Adrian said:
Dragon- The essential, Australian/New Zealand 70's 80's band who had a top US 40 hit with Rain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM7RcgZ1pLE but whole album is great April Sun In Cuba, Dreams of Ordinary Men, Magic, Young Years. all Australian rock classics.

Also Liam Finn is amazing live check him on letterman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-EGFS4-ck and yes he is the son of Crowded House front man Neil Finn, whose album Woodface was probably the best Australian album of the last 25 years.

Yes! So happy to see Liam and Neil mentioned by someone other than me! Liam's "I'll Be Lightening" CD was absolutely brilliant!
RIVERS.......I dare you to make your next about our country losing its freedoms when the constitution is suspended through martial law and everyone is taken to camps that are already built and unused across the country. hmm...do YOU know anything about this? I've seen you throw up the freemason symbol up a few times at concerts.

SPAZMATIK1 said:

it's got the song "Epic" in it already
Anything by Mike Patton definitely! The guy is a musical legend. The diversity within his music is out of this world. Tomahawk, Mr Bungle, Peeping tom, Fantomas & Faith no more are all completely random and different from anything else. His vocal range and styles of music he can sing is also quite unique.
I'm late on the news, but you hear Blur is back together? Some Blur would get you off your butt and jump.

hey rivers, did you read our recomendations? What do you think? Are you gonna give any of them a listen to?
Scorpions- In Trance
Budgie -Bandolier
Wishbone Ash- Argus
The Move-The Move
I like Mike Patton. His lyrics ( and often his vocals ) are generally random nonsense. But they rhyme, and he's got a super-amazing voice. It's win-win!

Album/lyrics-wise, Shangri-La-Dee-Da by Stone Temple Pilots is great.
OMG, epic equals the killers second album SAMS TOWN. if you heard it, hear it again
-Big Sounds
-Huge uplifting melodies
-Powerful positive lyrics
-Big great goodness
-Gorgeous imagery and story telling
-All the songs are wrapped together as a full whole album that makes sense, leaves you feeling inspired.
Spawned two huge hits that were all over the radio - when you were young and read my mind

such a big jump is their musicality, and the europeans loved it.
Well if your looking for Pink Floyd albums the most obvious choice would be the most epic of concept albums, "Dark Side of the Moon". My personal favorite would have to be "Animals" though. Another album I would highly recommend is "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel, a very lo-fi and acoustic based indie album from the 90s, great stuff to draw some inspiration from. I'm sure you guys already listen to them, but the Pixies and Dinosaur Jr. are obvious choices as they correlate a lot with the Weezer style and aesthetic. One last group that I hold dear to my heart (along with you guys of course) are The Smiths. I think you can draw a lot from their melancholic jangle pop melodies, and albums I especially recommend are "The Queen is Dead" and "Meat is Murder".

Hope you actually see these posts Rivers, and I find it really cool that your looking to the fan base for music inspiration ideas :D
Anything and everything by Bruce Springsteen.
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Under the Table and Dreaming - Dave Matthews Band
Bang Bang - Dispatch
Ten - Pearl jam
When Your Heart Stops Beating - (+44)

These and Pinkerton have heavily influenced me when i start writing a song, hopefully one of them can help you.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video