I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2198

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rivers. May I suggest Meddle by Pink Floyd also Animals. Wish You Were Here is another gem. Keep rocking, see you in Boston.
''Hey You'' is a really good Pink Floyd song from their album ''The Wall'.
You should definitely use Pink Floyd as inspiration. They are musically complex with good, deep lyrics. They were my favorite band before Weezer.
Pink Floyd's whole ''Animals'' album is amazing too. It is based off of George Orwell's ''Animal Farm'' novel. It would be nice to hear some complex Weezer music like the Red Album again, especially the song's ''The Greatest Man that ever lived'', ''The Angel and the One'', and ''Pig''. Those songs are incredible. It's those kind of songs that will be remembered decades later, that I can one day show my kids, and they will be like wow, Weezer freakin kicks ass. So yea, Pink Floyd will definitely offer that kind of epic inspiration. They are still relevant, and their music is mostly from the 70's. Elton John's "Good Bye Yellow Brick road'' is a great album, The Who's ''Tommy'' is awesome, Simon and Garfunkle have so many good songs with beautiful harmonies'' Bookends'' is a good album by them, and'' Led Zeppelin II'' is a kick ass album, with some great guitar music. That album has given me so much guitar inspiration. Listening to that album makes you wanna jam.
It depends on the writing style you're going for. There are many great songwriters and wordsmiths out there, but they all have different approaches. Personally, I don't listen to albums particularly for songwriting influences; I mainly just let the words flow freely, yet they of course are going to be naturally influenced by just about everything I've listened to regularly in my life.

Best approach if you're like me and NOT a guitar player (i sing, write, and play drums): Have a songwriting buddy sit down for a few hours and just keep playing the same thing over and over, get yourself a pen and some paper, and just let the words come out. You may come up with a lot of garbage, but there's always a diamond in the rough. Hit a good stride and it will build speed. I promise.

EDIT: Hahahahaha, I just noticed who actually posted this thread, so I guess of course you're a guitar player. Also, why the hell do I think I'm pretentious enough to tell you how to write songs? I'm keeping this post here, unedited apart from this postnote edit, for comedic purposes. Good stuff.
hahahahaha, i was reading this thinking "is he really explaining the songwriting process to Rivers right now? what a D-bag" then i saw your edit. good stuff indeed.

Iron Man Skivvies said:
It depends on the writing style you're going for. There are many great songwriters and wordsmiths out there, but they all have different approaches. Personally, I don't listen to albums particularly for songwriting influences; I mainly just let the words flow freely, yet they of course are going to be naturally influenced by just about everything I've listened to regularly in my life.

Best approach if you're like me and NOT a guitar player (i sing, write, and play drums): Have a songwriting buddy sit down for a few hours and just keep playing the same thing over and over, get yourself a pen and some paper, and just let the words come out. You may come up with a lot of garbage, but there's always a diamond in the rough. Hit a good stride and it will build speed. I promise.

EDIT: Hahahahaha, I just noticed who actually posted this thread, so I guess of course you're a guitar player. Also, why the hell do I think I'm pretentious enough to tell you how to write songs? I'm keeping this post here, unedited apart from this postnote edit, for comedic purposes. Good stuff.
One other band from the 70's worth mentioning is Grand Funk Railroad. Mark Farner is one of the greatest song writers/guitarists ever. Mel was the bassist from ? and The Mysterians and Don Brewer is an average vocalist and hell on the drums. Don toured with Bob Seger a few years back and the dude still has it. Weezer can get back to the roots of rock by giving GFR a good listening to. So much sound from just 3 players. The James Gang had some great music also. No dispute on how great Joe Walsh is.
I think you should remake the song Sugar Sugar by the Archies.
www.myspace.com/dildopuffs ........ My music... or The format/ FUN

Other than that man... I don't really see a modern day Paul Mcartney such as yourself being inspired or influenced by anything.

FEMA camps......
Write a song about conspiracy theories. I hear they are all the rage now a days....
O this reminds me that a while back ago I really wanted to you guys to cover Bohemian Rhapsody all Weezered out...but I'm sure that is probably outside your limits....haha
Congratulations- MGMT
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix- Phoenix
Contra- Vampire Weekend
Dark Side Of The Moon- Pink Floyd
And anything by Of Montreal.

I can see this next album turning out very sexy.
The Offspring's album Smash has great lyrics most of it. But, seriously, you should(and most likely are) be influencing other people's songwriting not the other way around.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video