I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2196

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

you should listen to mike viola.... or his band candy butchers and their album "HANG ON MIKE"!! when ever I listen to them I think how perfect you guys would be if you wrote together or if weezer wrote a song like his... I feel like you guys would complement each others stlyes....btw mike wrote a lot of songs for the movies.. walk hard, and get him to the greek also!!!

Helicobbler by Impaled Peach http://impaledpeach.bandcamp.com/album/helicobbler

First two They Might Be Giants albums (They Might Be Giants and Lincoln)

Monster by R.E.M.

New Magnetic Wonder by The Apples in stereo
I agree!

CrackerJack said:
Rivers, you already write incredible music, although alot of people have good suggestions.
hes a dirty liar. your last 5 albums range from ungodly boring to ungodly awful. you can decide which is which.

CrackerJack said:
Rivers, you already write incredible music, although alot of people have good suggestions.
thc's where its at man
Rivers, I hope you can find inspiration from our suggestions. Explore the possibilities!!! I miss the 90's and the grunge music. I say dig deep and bring it back, the way it should be. Everything today sounds the same and uninspired. I posted a big list of suggestions and hopefully you will check some of them out. Check out Urge Overkill "Exit The Dragon". Maybe you know of these guys? They straight up rock old school and often sound like Kiss here and there....
Any Ramones album, mainly because their songs are simple, yet no one else can do it quite like they could. There's something they bring to it, can't really decribe it. Is This It by the Strokes. I'd also recommend listening to the song These Things Move In Threes by Mumm-Ra. It's got a sweet vibe to it, especially the bridge. It's not really full on rock, more alternative/indie, but it's still really good, I think. That's all I can think of to recommend right now, hope you're inspired by whatever you choose to listen to. Thanks for reading!
I'm very pleased with you, Rivers. This could be interesting. Listen to Dark Side of the Moon, and then check out The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie, and the this one album that's blue and has 4 nerds on the cover. I think they're called weener or something. Either way, every track is really good and the bassist is incredible.

Corrosion of Conformity said:
Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Radiohead - The Bends
War - U2
You're Living All Over Me - Dinosaur Jr.
Bruce Springsteen - The River

I'm sure you've heard most of these albums before, but these are what came to mind. I threw in Dinosaur Jr. just because they were a big influence for me.

As for Pink Floyd, my favorite of their albums are Animals and Meddle. I recommend listening to those, along with the obvious Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.
I believe you and I are destined to be best friends.
Weezer's Blue Album and Green album are like perfect, so you could start there...after that i'd say pinkerton
Pink Floyd are great, although I never got into The Wall or anything after it. Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Meddle are all great albums.
As far as 'epic' goes, Funkadelic's Maggot Brain comes to mind along with Steeley Dan's The Royal Scam, Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, Kyuss' Blues For The Red Sun, and Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger.
Oh, and of course Rust In Peace and Among The Living!
Wrong forum Rivers! haha

Anyway, from the albums that I know, here are some 'epic rock records' that I'd recommend for their brilliant songcraft:
A New World Record - ELO
The Queen is Dead or The Sound of The Smiths (deluxe edition) - The Smiths
A Night At The Opera - Queen
Bat Out Of Hell - Meat Loaf

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.