I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2198

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

If it's epic rock you're after, check out Tame Impala.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tame_Impala

pretty much all Floyd is good Floyd in a way, thou some records definetly is weaker, like the Final cut
barrett Floyd is kind of different to the epic arena Floyd, but don't miss out. loads of great nursery rhymes and beautiful pastoral melodies.
my favorite Pink Floyd album is Meddle. But you should also check out Animals, "careful with that axe eugene" on Ummagumma and also the soundtrack albums from the early 70's; More, Obscured by Clouds and Zabriskie point.
The live concert from Pompeii is also fabulous.
one of my all time favorite albums: Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs. Another one of Jack White's bands, their music is absolutely amazing. Highly recommended, you might enjoy it, especially the tracks You Don't Understand Me and Many Shades of Black. It kinda has a really polished sound, but theres a lot of cool stuff going on musically, the guitars are great, the piano's great, the singing is awesome, there's some cool horn stuff going on, and some down and dirty blues going on at times. definitely a fantastic album to check out. And by the way, huge fan of Pink Floyd's Ummagumma... i feel like it's like your Red Album. But it's awesome that you're asking our opinions :)

A Night At The Opera By Queen - so classic and original
I could get behind that idea

Bill said:
i think absolutely think its time for weezer to do a rock opera where the songs all blend together and morph into each other. would love to see that.
goodness, how did I not think about this album. So good and complete. So sad they aren't around anymore.

Jamekae said:

Forgot this in my first post. Dog Problems by The Format is another great album that is really creative and doesn't feel stifled at all.
For something that would probably appease many fans:

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Ben Folds - Songs for Silverman
The Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About

For general rock goodness:

Springsteen
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Roy Orbison
The Traveling Wilburys
The Black Album
The Pixies
The Hold Steady
Cheap Trick

Why not try looking for any newer or less commercially recognised stuff on the internet? I can recommend upon request.
RIVERS,

like i said earlier. it's a great idea to be influenced by pink floyd but you shouldn't have to look far.

Your own music has possessed many qualities that when combined could be amazing.

the poetic lyrics of butterfly + the epic and beautiful atmospheric sounds to Angel and the one + the dynamic changes in songs falling for you/greatest man/ pig = Amazing.

Imagine if you got all those qualities to be combined into one album. A full album of songs that have each of those characteristics.

It'd be pretty epic imo...

I think if you and the band worked together and did a rock opera you'd be set. listen to various rock operas for inspiration.

the reason being.

With a rock opera there is a cohesive story, and the overall sound would be cohesive. People will take it way more seriously, and it will give you a chance to explore new ways to do music and let your influences be known.

SINCERELY,

Danorganplayer
Rivers, you should definitely check out Pink Floyd. Their most accessible albums are the most well-known ones: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall. That's a good starting point.

As for other rock records, I would suggest:

The Who - Who's Next
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
The Replacements - Let It Be
Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
Girls - Album
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Give TBA and Pinkerton a listen
Pink Floyd is great... I reccomend checking out The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon...
Didn't you cover "Time" live a few times? It was fantastic.

If you're looking for amazing, solid albums, these are my reccomendations...
1. Origin of Symmetry -Muse
Muse is, in a word, indulgent. It's the kind of music you listen to and think, "Wow, this is really art"... I also reccomend their latest album, The Resistance. Origin of Symmetry (and both its succeeding and preceeding albums as well) is a diamond in the rough... Completely fantastic. I listen to it thinking about how Weezer is totally capable of this (and topped has it), and I just reccomend it to anyone for any reason. I love "New Born", "Bliss", "Plug in Baby" and "Feeling Good".
2. Day and Age -The Killers
I think you've covered "Human" live before, Rivers, and it was a pretty great cover. That being said, I wondered how amazing this could be on a studio version, or heck, what it would sound like if you just wrote a totally new song in this style. I love The Killers almost as much as I love Weezer... In fact, I think you brought up doing a collab with Brandon Flowers, which I would die to hear, being my two alltime favorite bands. As for this album, it has a very exotic feel for many of the songs and is a slight deviation from the Killers' other album styles, but it's very rich and fun and singable with deep lyrics. My favorite tracks are "Losing Touch", "Spaceman", "I Can't Stay", "Neon Tiger" and "Goodnight, Travel Well".
3. The Suburbs -Arcade Fire
I was debating whether to reccomend Funeral or this one, but I ended up going for this one. For the most part a really peaceful album with great guitarwork and melodies nonetheless. Arcade Fire has been on an indie label for a long time, and they're very highly regarded. I'd look into them, they're kind of just really emerging. The whole album is just very well-crafted. One of my favorites for sure. I reccomend "Ready to Start", "Modern Man", "Rococo" and "Month of May"
4. Tonight: Franz Ferdinand -Franz Ferdinand
This is very much a dance album, but brings in the international appeal that Franz Ferdinand does. It's really good at night and decent at day, too. But make sure you crank up the volume for "Lucid Dreams"... If you have headphones in for that song, you're gonna have it repeating a few hundred times before you're done with it. The other tracks are pretty great too.
5. Crash Kings (self-titled)
I'll be honest, I don't see Weezer replicating this sound to any extent whatsoever. However, this is a fairly new band that needs support and is definitely worth a listen... It's a trio which uses clavinet, bass and drums only. It's a really interesting sound, but there's a lot of passion and it's really a great and hooky album.

I have extra discs of most of these if you want, Rivers. Lemme know and I'll talk to Karl about it!
Thanks! (:

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video