I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2201

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Miles Davis- "Sketches Of Spain"
Vampire Weekend- Self Titled/"Contra"
"Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World Soundtrack"/"Original Score"
Radiohead- "In Rainbows" (I know you're not hot on them, but this really is a beautiful album)
Paul McCartney- "Chaos And Creation In The Backyard"
Elvis Costello- "This Year's Model"
Stephen Sondheim- "Company" (2006 Revival with Raul Esparza)
Claude Debussy- "Essential Debussy" (Various Artists)
Wilco- "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"/"Sky Blue Sky"
Sufjan Stevens- "Illinois"
Fleet Foxes- Self Titled
Lauryn Hill- "The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill"
Janelle Monae- "The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III)"
The Strokes- "Room On Fire"

SunnyDownSnuff said:
Television - Marquee Moon - The title song, along with the last song, are the definition of epic. The rest is mostly epic, with some other epicness sprinkled around.

The Clean - Anthology - I think the first disc is absolutely perfect, and if you actually listen to it, I hope you think that too. This is an example of some 80s, perfect, poppy rock from New Zealand.

Iggy Pop - The Idiot - It's crazy and awesome. Rock-y, kind of electronic-y, and sounds demonic at times

The Kinks - Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire - Seriously, this rock opera, Something Else, and ... The Village Green Preservation Society are better than the Beatles.

The Boswell Sisters - Kick all kinds of ass. Old stuff with loads of harmony and makes you happy. It's 30's vocal jazz.

Any Billy Chlidish is kickass, too, if you enjoy garage (punk) rock, which is a genre worth exploring.

I hope you read this post, listen to the music if you haven't before already, and like it, because I like it.

seriously this list! is one of the very few in this thread that get it right
Zuma by Niel Young & Crazy Horse holmes
the flaming lips
the ramones
guided by voices
led zeppelin
wilco
I saw it's been already been posted, but I would for sure check out Queen, Meatloaf (the original bat out of hell is outstanding) and I'm pretty sure a lot of people would disagree with me on this and I'm probably going to get some flak about it but, Bob Marley and the Wailers (yes, in my opinion they were rock)
OH, also, Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy. Listen to this if you want to be inspired to write a great ALBUM. The instrumentation is amazing and the lyrics are imaginative and resonating. Hardly a big rock guitar, but still tremendous rises and falls. This whole album just feels so right. You WILL be moved by this album.
Oh, and Frank Black - Teenager Of The Year. I mean, assuming RC was as saturated in the Pixies as the rest of us but didn't look any farther.
If listening to Pink Floyd....Listen to Roger Waters/Radio KAOS (VERY 80's...but love it)
Other Album worthy of listening to:
Boys Don't Cry/The Cure
Have you ever heard Kid A by Radiohead?

I think it's amazing how ambitious this band is even though I don't ever expect a Weezer album to sound anything like this, I feel like you should definitely hear what a modern band like them can do. Listen from start to finish though, this is not a singles album.

Oh yeah and I'm aware that you've heard the work of Brian Wilson but have you ever listened to the 1966 mixes of SMiLE? Goddamm
If you wanna stick with Floyd, how about the album 'animals'. I feel its the deepest of the albums by Floyd.

its a shame you won't be reading this though.
Some one has probbaly mentioned it, but I say The Mollusk by Ween.

Although not 'epic rock' in the traditional sense, Lincoln by They Might Be Giants is pretty epic to me.

Forgot this in my first post. Dog Problems by The Format is another great album that is really creative and doesn't feel stifled at all.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video