I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2195

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Start with Lil Beethoven by Sparks.

Brilliant musically, hilariously lyrics. If there were any justice, this sort of thing would be top of the charts.

Oh, then try the next three albums, two of which following in a similar vein whilst the third is about the fictional story of Ingmar Bergman visiting the USA. The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman.
The Decline by NOFX. Probably the great punk song ever written. Over 18 minutes long and it flows like one song.

New direction!
YES! Do an epic instrumental album RC. We need more guitar solos anyways :)

OnlyinPinkerton said:

New direction!
I don't want to sound like a suck up or anything, but I want Weezer to sound like Weezer and think Pink Floyd, while great in their own right, isn't something I'd associate with any Weezer CD's. That's probably because you haven't listened to them? haha, I would say some other bands that make songs that make me want to get loud and make my presence known in a crowded area are Ramones and The Clash (London Calling especially).

As a side note, I'm currently working at a call center, dealing with different music website customer support for Rhino Records and the Grateful Dead and if you listened to some of the stuff the Dead has done and somehow incorporated that with a fine Weezer song, that would be synergy at its finest as far as experimental tracks go.

When dealing with Dead Heads every day and knowing that this type of following is out there for a band that each customer will willingly spend hundreds and hundreds a month on live show recordings and box sets, it makes me happy that Weezer is my favorite band because even though I'm not a rich person, some of my paycheck will always go to something Weezer if it's available. The past few months have been a real treat.
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
The Postal Service - Give Up
Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam
Paul Simon - The Paul Simon Songbook
If I remember correctly, in one of the Alone albums you mentioned in the liner notes debating whether to buy Pet Sounds of Led Zeppelin IV at the used CD bin.

So go for some Zeppelin, honestly they're all good, although Zeppelin I and Houses of the Holy are my favorites.

I'm also a huge Pink Floyd fan, but I think that topic has been covered here pretty extensively... Although I haven't seen much mention of The Wall or The Final Cut, which are the peak of Roger Waters writing...
NIck Drake -- Way to Blue, Five Leaves Left
The Jayhawks -- Tomorrow the Green Grass
Wilco -- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

None of these sound like Pink Floyd, but they're some of my go-to albums. If nothing else just download the mp3 of Drake's "Riverman" and " Northern Sky" . Also, I'd second all the suggestions of Queen and Ben Folds.
All albums from The Cribs ( Johnny Marr is a fulltime member now.

No Love Lost, The Great Escape - The Rifles

Boys Don't Cry - The Cure

If you can't tell, I'm into the Brit-Rock right now.
No Fuel Left For The Pilgrims, by D.A.D
The Who Sell Out, by The Who
Listen to Bruce Cockburn.
Pink Floyd ALL THE WAY. Definetley. Look up the song Echoes, Dogs and Time. I'v always wondered what a pink floyd influenced Weezer would sound like.

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video