I never listened to Pink Floyd but was thinking they might be a good influence on my songwriting.  what do you guys think?  And what other epic rock records out there should I listen to?  thanks.

Views: 2201

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It depends if you are looking for lighthearted pop or deep kutz.  But here are a few that I think easily make it on my list.

Yes- Close to the Edge

King Crimson- Red : Espescially Another Red Nightmare (This then I guess can take you down a road to Emerson, Lake and

palmer eventually to Asia)

XTC-Broomstick Rhythm (song) Any XTC Album for that matter a good span from Punk, Ska, art rock and pop.

Rolling Stones- Aftermath (Fave son Out of Time)

Ween- White Pepper

The Damned- Damned Damned Damned

The Melvins-Eggnog

Thrones- Day Late Dollar Short

Steel Pole Bathtub- Scars From Falling Down

And a few mentionables Praxis, Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Maybe some Jaco Pastorius for ides on the Bass solo....

I am assuming you have listened to plenty of Rush.

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Oh yes can't forget:

Love-Four Sail, Forever Changes and Da Capo

bobloblaw said:

It depends if you are looking for lighthearted pop or deep kutz.  But here are a few that I think easily make it on my list.

Yes- Close to the Edge

King Crimson- Red : Espescially Another Red Nightmare (This then I guess can take you down a road to Emerson, Lake and

palmer eventually to Asia)

XTC-Broomstick Rhythm (song) Any XTC Album for that matter a good span from Punk, Ska, art rock and pop.

Rolling Stones- Aftermath (Fave son Out of Time)

Ween- White Pepper

The Damned- Damned Damned Damned

The Melvins-Eggnog

Thrones- Day Late Dollar Short

Steel Pole Bathtub- Scars From Falling Down

And a few mentionables Praxis, Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Maybe some Jaco Pastorius for ides on the Bass solo....

I am assuming you have listened to plenty of Rush.

i could give you paragraphs worth of reasoning behind the albums i'm about to list, but i feel like just listing them and assuring you that they have so much depth that they have changed the way i listen to music, that hopefully that will make you give them a listen..

-brand new -- the devil and god are raging inside me

-nirvana -- in utero

-noah and the whale -- the first days of spring

-....and you will know us by the trail of dead -- worlds apart

-archers of loaf -- all the nations airports (YOU TOURED WITH THESE GUYS!!)

-akron/family -- akron/family

-big d and the kids table -- fluent in stroll

Specific musical influences aside, I think the main thing you should do is try to explore different themes. Been hitting the love songs pretty hard.

For my own humble songwriting efforts, I find watching movies, television shows and reading books to be most helpful for generating ideas. It helps me get outside of my head and write from another person's perspective.

I'm gonna get hella disht for this, but check out Hoarders and You're Gonna Kill Somebody on my profile music player. The first was inspired by the A&E series Hoarders, dealing with obsessive compulsive hoarding disorders. The second was inspired by all the people talking and texting while they drive, to oft-times tragic consequences.

I'll also second the Ben Folds recommendations. I like how he frequently explores broader themes in a quirky, humorous fashion.

Specific songs from Ben Folds:

Levi Johnston Blues (from Lonely Avenue, lyrics by Nick Hornby): gotta wait for the second half for it to really hit its stride, "I'm an effin' redneck, I live to hang out with the boys, play hockey, do some fishin' and kill some moose, etc"

The Frown Song (from Way to Normal):  "Do you remember how we managed before? We could afford real nervous breakdowns/Or before the Anthropologie store/ Was erected on Indian burial grounds")

Jesusland, Late, Gracie, Old Bastard and Prison Food (from Songs for Silverman; really, this whole album's spectacular, I'm just trying to avoid the outright love songs)

Ben Folds LIVE...not even gonna try picking just one from this. The songs from his self-titled studio album sound a lot better live.

As for Pink Floyd, I like the ease of their early songwriting efforts and deeper themes of their latter work. But Ben Folds jives a lot better with your current style.

Rivers stopped reading this thread months ago, if he ever did at all.

Even if he was still checking in on it periodically, there's no way he would make time to listen to all of these albums.

Just saying.

Dream killer!! Now I have to go outside and actually do something : (

ѾѾѾѾѾѾѾѾѾ said:

Even if he was still checking in on it periodically, there's no way he would make time to listen to all of these albums.

Just saying.

Try listening to the Blue Album

Best album I've ever layed my ears on

Eric Liddle said:

Try listening to the Blue Album

Best album I've ever layed my ears on

And you know this how?  If anything I think it is a good resource for everyone, not just Rivers from, an anthropological standpoint. 

I mean, look at the responses.  It is kind of interesting that you have indications of how old or which decade the person was born in.  That said, music is timeless and spans all good or bad so even if Rivers is not reading any of this, let us all just enjoy each others suggestions.  I for one have gotten some great new things to listen to and am revisiting some things I forgot about but was reminded by this thread.

If it were me and I didn't want people to still be responding to a thread, I would kill it or close it to new responses.  Try not to be presumptuous.

ѾѾѾѾѾѾѾѾѾ said:

Just saying.

Anything by Radiohead!

It'll be sweet to hear Weezer try a Pink Floyd sound...

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video