Pinkerton's failure is over and done with after over a decade.

It's being performed live and is becoming more of a headline than Blue Album performances ever were.

This band is having fun, interacting with fans almost in more ways than any other band, and are now living happy lives with their families.

I see this as an opportunity to finally continue from where they left off like when they believed Pinkerton would be successful.  Do what they would have done if Pinkerton was successful like they thought it would.  Business isn't what it used to be for rock bands, but why does that matter?  This isn't about making platinum with this album (although, knowing Weezer, it probably would anyways) it's about making a work of art that builds off of where Pinkerton left off.  Give the somber and brutally honest Pinkerton the sequel of a happy ending that it deserves.  You're living the happy ending, so it should be easy.

You wouldn't even have to be away from loved ones while doing this.  You could do the same thing that the Foo Fighters did and record at home with your family's company.  I'm sure fans wouldn't mind you taking a year or so off touring to do this.

A lot of Weezer boardies will probably scoff at this idea actually coming to fruition, and Weezer probably won't even come across it, but with the validation Weezer now has with Pinkerton I can't think of a better time than after this tour to work on it. 

I'm not expecting anything to happen after I post this.  I'm just glad, as a Weezer fan, that I did.

Tags: pinkerton, sequel

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By a sequel to Pinkerton, I mean an album that's as personal, but not a somber album...I now wonder if the few of you who mentioned Rivers not wanting to make another somber album again actually read this.

Pinkerton, as we all know, was written about what Rivers had to go through during the events before making a second album.

The sequel would be written about what happened after.  I'm not saying songs like, "I wrote these complex songs/now I'm writing simple ones!" That would be pathetically hilarious.  I mean written in the same way that Pinkerton was, but this time, beginning with the events that happened after Pinkerton and ending with a victory song of sorts that symbolizes the validation Rivers had after playing it live last year.

So, yeah, it would be a selfish concept album like Pinkerton was except with a happy ending.  I'm sure Weezer wouldn't mind one last album solely about Rivers as long as it ends up as close to a masterpiece that Pinkerton was (tongue in cheek).

I mean, let's be honest, a crap load of stuff happened to Rivers afterwords.  Transformation as a song writer, first experiences with the forums back then and the annoyances that came with them, discovering meditation, marriage (Talk about finally finding Butterfly.), becoming a father, the accident and then the validation of what he thought ended up being the worst thing ever becoming his greatest accomplishment through live performance and belated critical acclaim.  Compiled into one album.

I too would like to see a remastered SFTBH, but I'm going to be greedy and wish for both...and then hope for some Weezer genie of some sort who grants these wishes pops up from out of nowhere.

I think what you are looking for is Make Believe, in all seriousness, that was his most personal record since Pinkerton.

Also keep in mind, as mathematical as music is, you can't just plug chords into an equation and pop out similar music.  It takes inspiration.  Pain, more so than happiness it seems, brings about more inspired music and lyrics from many musicians, myself included.

By all means, keep dreaming and wanting Pinkerton part Deux, but I think if you keep wishing for it, you'll only get let down in the future.

David J. Stepp (DJS92491) said:

By a sequel to Pinkerton, I mean an album that's as personal, but not a somber album...I now wonder if the few of you who mentioned Rivers not wanting to make another somber album again actually read this.

Pinkerton, as we all know, was written about what Rivers had to go through during the events before making a second album.

The sequel would be written about what happened after.  I'm not saying songs like, "I wrote these complex songs/now I'm writing simple ones!" That would be pathetically hilarious.  I mean written in the same way that Pinkerton was, but this time, beginning with the events that happened after Pinkerton and ending with a victory song of sorts that symbolizes the validation Rivers had after playing it live last year.

So, yeah, it would be a selfish concept album like Pinkerton was except with a happy ending.  I'm sure Weezer wouldn't mind one last album solely about Rivers as long as it ends up as close to a masterpiece that Pinkerton was (tongue in cheek).

I mean, let's be honest, a crap load of stuff happened to Rivers afterwords.  Transformation as a song writer, first experiences with the forums back then and the annoyances that came with them, discovering meditation, marriage (Talk about finally finding Butterfly.), becoming a father, the accident and then the validation of what he thought ended up being the worst thing ever becoming his greatest accomplishment through live performance and belated critical acclaim.  Compiled into one album.

I too would like to see a remastered SFTBH, but I'm going to be greedy and wish for both...and then hope for some Weezer genie of some sort who grants these wishes pops up from out of nowhere.

I don't really want Longtime Sunshine on the next LP.  I love the song, I'd love a studio recording.  But I've heard it x9000.  I expect something new from a NEW LP.  That's always been my opinion though.  Also Jamie and Suzanne are perfectly fine where they are.

It'd be cool to have Ric back, but I don't know if it would really guarantee anything.  Doesn't mean it would necessarily sound like "old weezer."  It certainly wouldn't really lend the album to the more pinkerton-ish sound with Ric.

But inherently, I like the idea of "make the next record like a follow-up to Pinkerton if Pinkerton had been successful."  Because in the long run it actually was successful, and is consistently considered their top achievement artistically.  But I'd like to hear what the next evolution of classic Weezer's sound would be.  Not a sequel to pInkerton.  But where they might have gone next.

What you should have said was, we need new songs LIKE Longtime Sunshine, or many of those older wonderful songs.  Playing all these Memories shows should give the band an idea of what we'd love to hear.  Busting on LS was definitely a good move on the band's part.  I feel it probably shows that they get it, I think they're having fun and I feel like they're headed in the right direction.

Should have totalllly kept Tragic Girl a secret and released it as a new song on the new LP though hahaha. 

Lewis Digges said:

I want Ric Ocasek back producing the next album and hopefully they will re-record "Longtime Sunshine", "Jamie" and "Suzanne" and finally all of these will be on an album.
make believe was horrible...............we all known it deep down.
I don't know that feeling.  I love every song off that album, besides Beverly Hills, I only like that one.

Naota25 said:
make believe was horrible...............we all known it deep down.
try listening to it again..............................

Eh, my idea is pretty much misunderstood. 

Make Believe isn't what I'm looking for.  Make Believe would be a reference in a song writing process for the sequel, but it's definitely nothing like I'm talking about at all.  I'm not looking for just a deeply personal record, I'm looking for a sequel.

I know Pinkerton was successful in the long run, but imagine if Pinkerton was as successful as it was in 96-97 like it is now?  Weezer would build upon their masterpiece.  Matt still would have left, but Weezer would still be focused on making the best record possible instead of dumbing down for a mainstream pop audience. 

So, my Pinkerton sequel idea in the end is farfetched.  I'd love to have heard an album of reflection such as that, but it'll never be in the cards.

However, with Pinkerton being as successful as it is now, I don't see any reason why Weezer can't go back to that working formula.  It's not difficult for wordsmiths to make their simple life experiences into complex compositions.  Rivers has proved again and again on Ustream with his singing/guitar playing that he's got it in him still.  The romanticism he strived away from when Pinkerton failed is successful now and Weezer was always the best at delivering art to the alternative rock genre.

After the tour, it's time to pick from what made their tour successful and put it into their next record.

I completely disagree. The album was a masterpiece, and they sure left that 'phase' of their music perfectly. Would you really want a new version of Pinkerton? The album stands out because it's so great and has a unique sound, if all their records were like that then Pinkerton wouldn't be so amazing. No need.

Also, do you really want Rivers to artificially pour in emotion and TRY to write depressing songs? Because I know I'd prefer that he writes what he feels.. so if the day comes where he is in the position where he needs to write a song with the emotion from Pinkerton, then let him. If you are expecting him to force another Pinkerton out of him.. then it wont be nearly as good. 

if pinkerton would have sold 5 million copies, sharp would never have left. stop being inane.

I feel like everyone's misunderstanding this post...

Mr. Stepp isn't saying that he wants another Pinkerton as in a carbon copy of Pinkerton's sound, he's saying he wants another album on the same level of Pinkerton quality wise. Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling you don't want another dark, depressing album based on embarrassing masturbation stories exectuted with raw production, feedback laced guitars, shredded vocals recorded as a group around a mike, as well as lots of slide guitar and random high pitched shouting.  I feel like you're saying Weezer needs to get back to writing music based on intensive (not necessarily negative) human emotion, with intricately arranged songs.

Now, to get to what you desire, a true follow up to Pinkerton, I believe it's already been made. What made Pinkerton great to me is it's emotional honesty and the way that was translated into the songwriting (melody, solos, progression, structure, etc.) as well as the execution of these songs (aural aesthetic, performance, production, etc.) and the way these songs were grouped together into an album in order to create a perfect artistic whole representative of the unique sound of said songs (mixing, mastering, sequencing, artwork and so on). Based on these criteria, I think there are not only one, but two true follow ups to Pinkerton made by Rivers, they just have never been released.

The first would be Weezer's first attempt at a third album follow up to Pink. Between 97-99 Weezer in some form or another was tossing around ideas for a third album, and from what we've heard, I think this would have been the perfect follow up. Whereas Pink was all about extremely explosive emotional catharsis, I think this third album would have kind of been the come down to enlightenment. Employing a deliberate and slower pace on most of these songs gave Weezer a unique venue to study their new musical identity and Rivers' new emotional plane. I think the more relaxed mood gives a unique sense of melancholy to these songs (rosemary, crazy one, baby), also allowing for a unique form of experimentation with darker and sometimes heavier material (1000 years, everyone). There already exists a great article on this album, http://weezer.com/forum/topics/weezer-albums-that-never-were, and some of these songs have gotten some form of official release.

Next would be Homie. Born out of the RCB (which played a lot of the potential third album material), Homie was a side project dedicated to what Cuomo considered to be joke songs he deemed to be not serious enough for Weezer. Cuomo developed a quirky Alt Country aesthetic for these songs (which range from the genesis of Weezer, to the Hiatus time period) and began playing them live. While these live recordings are pretty much all we have to speak for the Homie version of these songs (a few have popped up on Alone, and some fantastic fans have pulled off some unbelievably great covers), they paint one hell of picture of the album that should have been. Despite being a drastic move away from Pink thematically, it is an absolute continuation of Pink's high quality. While reports vary, it sounds like this album got pretty close to completion. This would have been the happy ending you mentioned wanting after Pink. more than anything, this album would have just been fun. Whereas Pink was winter music, Homie has laid back, cool autumn day written all over it.

Unfortunately, Rivers seems to look down on this period, which is sad since it contains some of his and Weezer's best songs. To name a few: The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World, Trampoline, Lover in the Snow, Autumn in Jayne, Hey My Darlin', Wanda You're My Only Love, Sheila Can Do (it), and the list keeps on goin! Fortunately lots of these songs have gotten official releases. I gotta say though, if we're really lucky, Cuomo will stop cutting these songs up into Alone and DTFM style releases, and instead release these albums as a whole (if we're lucky with the original recordings, or at least with the band members involved at the time *fingers crossed for utopian dreams*).

Who knows, maybe in some amazing alternate universe, while weezer fans debate if SFTBH or Pinkerton was Weezer's true masterstroke (pun intended for Harvard Rivers' sake), Cuomo is gearing up for a memories tour of Homie's album and Weezer's third album. It is tempting to think what would have happened if these albums had seen the light of day and been able to serve as the true follow up to Pinkerton songwriting and album wise. I think if they had been released we would have gotten SS2K instead of Green (http://www.mediafire.com/?2bq4qgg89176l), then a more heavy metal album along the line of the mala demoes instead of the finished maladroit we got, a Fallen Soldiers album of stortytelling based early album five acoustic stuff instead of make believe, and a red album that subbed songs like Pig and Spider in for it's lesser aspects in order to arrive at a true masterpiece.

Soyrev has mentioned in his song blog (http://tvs.soymilkrevolution.com/) that he believes if Rivers were to gather all the best unreleased songs from his career and then release them as a box set, he could overnight reestablish himself as a genius songwriter and Weezer as one of the truly great bands in existence. I don't think that's any exaggeration, and I think Weezer's early attempt at album 3 and the Homie project clearly prove this fact.

Homie especially has the potential (still) to be Cuomo's defining artistic moment. So, to answer your question, keep your eyes and ears open for any news on the front for more releases form this period in Weezer's career. If an album that's worthy of being known as the follow up to Pinkerton is what you're looking for, then Weezer's Hiatus is where you'll find what you seek.

and that just about covers all of that.

SS2K PUNK said:

Who knows, maybe in some amazing alternate universe, while weezer fans debate if SFTBH or Pinkerton was Weezer's true masterstroke (pun intended for Harvard Rivers' sake), Cuomo is gearing up for a memories tour of Homie's album and Weezer's third album. It is tempting to think what would have happened if these albums had seen the light of day and been able to serve as the true follow up to Pinkerton songwriting and album wise. I think if they had been released we would have gotten SS2K instead of Green (http://www.mediafire.com/?2bq4qgg89176l), then a more heavy metal album along the line of the mala demoes instead of the finished maladroit we got, a Fallen Soldiers album of stortytelling based early album five acoustic stuff instead of make believe, and a red album that subbed songs like Pig and Spider in for it's lesser aspects in order to arrive at a true masterpiece.

Soyrev has mentioned in his song blog (http://tvs.soymilkrevolution.com/) that he believes if Rivers were to gather all the best unreleased songs from his career and then release them as a box set, he could overnight reestablish himself as a genius songwriter and Weezer as one of the truly great bands in existence. I don't think that's any exaggeration, and I think Weezer's early attempt at album 3 and the Homie project clearly prove this fact.

Homie especially has the potential (still) to be Cuomo's defining artistic moment. So, to answer your question, keep your eyes and ears open for any news on the front for more releases form this period in Weezer's career. If an album that's worthy of being known as the follow up to Pinkerton is what you're looking for, then Weezer's Hiatus is where you'll find what you seek.

Exactly this. If they released SFTBH and Homie in their entirety, Weezer would undeniably be one of the greatest bands in existence. I thought this was Rivers' goal... anyway, whenever he's ready.

I'm definitely liking this 'Weezer alternative universe' a lot better, but it's not too late for Rivers to create it (or too hard, given the songs are already written..)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video