i know all will be considering this ridiculous, and that blue is weezers best album, and id agree with you.. what i am SICK of hearing is so-called 'real' weezer fans never shutting up about pinkerton, how its a 'classic' that every other album has tried and failed to live up to.. i grew up listening to blue/pink, and love them both, but WOW.. move on from them! if weezer truly tried to replicate pinkerton, theyd probably be accused of trying to recreate the glory days.. i doubt theyd wanna recreate it anyway, it was a commercial failure, and rivers would have to be depressed to write like that again.. rivers is happily married with a child, a long way away from the man who wrote pinkerton, and he wont write another pinkerton, so stop complaining that he doesnt.. besides, hurley is, in my opinion, the best since blue..

PS.. reading over this i realise i may be mistaken for a pinkerton hater.. let me clarify, I AM THE OPPOSITE, it just annoys me the way people regard it as 'the greatest thing ever'. ive almost listened to it so much that it bugs me now, so maybe im a little biased, but its just how i feel about it now.. ive been meaning to say this on these forums for a long time, but didnt knowing id be shot down by the old school weezer fans, even tho i am one.. just saying this is my opinion

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree whole heartedly. I have evolved with =w= and have yet to hear a bad album. I kinda enjoy make believe.
Same here. I love every album. A band who doesn't change is a boring band. Every album has a different sound, which is why I love Weezer.

Viva La =w=

Eric Bowman said:
I agree whole heartedly. I have evolved with =w= and have yet to hear a bad album. I kinda enjoy make believe.
This is an unfair generalisation of "old school Weezer fans", and the minority who are still posting on a Weezer forum in 2010 while claiming to be still waiting for "Pinkerton II" get more attention in threads like this than they do in their generally easily-ignored posts.

(P.S. I like many things after Pinkerton - I'm not arguing that part.)
As an old school Weezer fan let me say I agree with what you are saying completely but I usually find it's not always the old school fans that long for Pinkerton 2. It's sometimes those fans who found Weezer when Pinkerton was released or those that started listening to them post-Pinkerton. Your right that they can and will never recreate that sound they achieved with Pinkerton or the Blue album for that matter.

I think alot of old school Weezer fans have a very strong connection emotionaly with the Blue album as it was during a time in our lives that was confusing. After the death of Kurt Cobain alot of the music out there didn't have that interest or spark up excitment like Nirvana did.

Weezer came along with "Undone" and gave us the same type of interest that Nirvana did in a different way. Nirvana was grungy, dirty, and ready to rip you apart with it's unpredictable style and kids at the time gravitated towards that because it was cool and different. Weezer came along with it's quirky style and geek rock lead guy and those who were looking for something to cling to after Kurt's death may have found it.

For me I was turned onto Weezer by my older brother who to me had very good taste in music. I liked the band and Rivers because they were a little dorky maybe but when it came to ROCKIN they totally transformed into shredders. It was great to see this shy guy with thick black-rimmed glasses and shag bowl cut hair singing his song and as it went into the chorus he would start jumping around, singing with passion and hammering his guitar.

It grabbed my attention and I was hooked ever since. I read alot of interviews after Blue and really started to understand Rivers and his attitude towards song writing and his music so when Pinkerton came out and critics trashed it I didn't get it because reading his stories helped me make the connection between what he was fealing and the songs he wrote for Pinkerton. As a fan who was already vested I embraced Pinkerton and it was Rivers emotional release as I saw it at the time.

Fast forward to 2010 Weezer has evolved for better or worse. I've enjoyed every CD they have released and always look forward to what they may do next. I've never been critical since those of us who were there for the '98 to 2000 hiatus know how we almost lost them and we're damn lucky to still have them now. So many groups once they're married and have children start to pack it in. They stop touring to be with their families and don't put out much music anymore till a "greatest hits"CD come out and then you know it's over. With Weezer we have the exact opposite. In the beginning there was distance and not much going on but now the guys are married, have kids and secure with their success. Their on an independant label and are more active now than ever. We should rejoice in their success and stand behind them no matter what because although we don't talk about it one day it will come to an end.
i like this. fair, polite and pretty much spot on.

Andrew Fry said:
This is an unfair generalisation of "old school Weezer fans", and the minority who are still posting on a Weezer forum in 2010 while claiming to be still waiting for "Pinkerton II" get more attention in threads like this than they do in their generally easily-ignored posts.

(P.S. I like many things after Pinkerton - I'm not arguing that part.)
Listen, I get it. I am what you would call "old school". When you say that you've evolved with the band, well, I have to ask, has Weezer really evolved in the last 10 years? Mally is the only album that's truly different from TGA, Make Believe, Red, Rad, and now Hurley.

I'm not one to bust on Rivers. He's making the music he wants and I say good for him. As an artist, that's what he should be doing. That said, the perspective of the younger fans compared to the kids that were there for Blue/Pinkerton is the main difference. Keith nailed it when he said that Blue came along and sounded so much different than what was popular at the time. That was its charm. It was inspired. Everything after 2001, quite frankly, is safe. It's intentionally so far removed from Pinkerton which I don't have a problem with but let's take it for what it is and that's music that is trying to fit with what pop is in today's music world. Anymore, I don't buy a Weezer album expecting anything game changing. I hope for a few gems that I can get into and if I get it, then cool.

Keep this in mind...Rivers set the bar so high with TBA and Pinkerton that it's only natural for the old school fans to have that standard. Then to say that Hurley is the best since TBA....well...

Eric Bowman said:
I don't see why anyone has to "evolve" past Pinkerton. Truth be told, it's all subjective anyway. I think Blue and Pinkerton are still their best albums to date, even if I enjoy the more recent stuff too. I think Hurley is great... but really, people are not waiting for Pinkerton II. They are waiting for something with as much substance or quality in an album as that in Pinkerton (or Blue in some cases).

That's not something that you can really control though when it comes to creative endeavors. And people who are hardcore fans about ANYTHING will complain on message boards about this kind of stuff because they are bored and passionate about it.

I really see no harm in people expressing their opinions. Even if you don't like them.
I'll tell you what it is for almost all Weezer fans. TBA and Pinkerton are so highly reguarded it shows them at their peak for most. I think what we all really want is for the music community and mainstream america to realize that this is one of the most influential bands of the past twenty years. Do we want them to become hardcore mainstream? Of course not. That music is ran by 12 to 17 year old girls and you'll never beat them. Do we want them on every awards show? No, I think there's a reason they release their CDs after the Mtv awards have passed. Do we wish they would be recognized by the music industry? As a fan I do wish they were givin the credit they deserve.
100% agree'd. I've said it many times before. The only =W= dissapointment was Raditude. Every other album was pretty awesome.
Daniel [bleed0range] said:
but really, people are not waiting for Pinkerton II. They are waiting for something with as much substance or quality in an album as that in Pinkerton (or Blue in some cases).

This, x1000. We're not waiting for another Pinkerton. We're waiting for another album with as much attention to detail and as much heart as Pinkerton. And no matter what nonsense people kick up here about "Evolution" that hasn't happened. They've completely regressed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video