Which do you prefer in Weezer albums? (see below for what albums were written in each tunings).

Why do you think Rivers switched up the tunings between albums?  I think he went standard tuning on Green because he was trying to be as poppy as possible, to "get his band back on the map".  I prefer half step down because I like how I sound singing it. 

I am basing this off of the Alubm tablature books:

1/2 Step Down:

Blue

Pinkerton

Make Believe

Red

Raditude

Hurly??? (don't know yet)

Standard Tuning:

Green Maladroit

Tags: 1/2, down, guitar, standard, step, tuning

Views: 2718

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From a songwriting perspective, alternate tunings can help inspire new ideas. Maybe he was bouncing back and forth to keep things fresh and generate more material.

anyone else know of other bands that use 1/2 step tuning?

I know Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids, and Ozma have all used 1/2 step tunings.  All of these bands I really like too....seeing a connection here.

I'm pretty sure Alice In Chains and many other alt rock bands used a lot of 1/2 step tuning.

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

anyone else know of other bands that use 1/2 step tuning?

I know Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids, and Ozma have all used 1/2 step tunings.  All of these bands I really like too....seeing a connection here.

Bingo! It's for this reason I typically keep my guitars tuned to Eb for everything. It gives the strings a more elastic, rubbery feel that makes you think you're better than you really are. They should call it "cheater tuning".

Wes Reding said:
I think he uses 1/2 step down b/c its easier to sing and play in that tuning. when the guitar is down a 1/2 step its much easier to play because the strings are looser and easier to bend during solos and stuff. that's just my opinion tho
The best albums were 1/2 step down; but it would have been easier to tune your guitar and play along with the albums if they were standard.
I started tuning my guitars to Eb back in the early 90s when I got the Seasons In The Abyss book and discovered the world of Half Step Down :) I didn't even turn back until recently my bands material shifted from more 1/2 step to more standard tuned material, but most singers in my area aren't that great and can't adjust to the music so we have to play certain songs "out of tune" to adjust to them.
I think the half step down accomodates Rivers range better, but I'm no singer so thats not really my expertise. I don't mind keeping my les paul in 1/2 down, gives you a little easier bend-a-bility. sure, thats a word.
Yeah, maybe if tune into open D or something, but not in half-step. Nothing really changes in half step.

El Cheese Supremo said:

From a songwriting perspective, alternate tunings can help inspire new ideas. Maybe he was bouncing back and forth to keep things fresh and generate more material.

OiP is right. 'alternate tunings' that might 'inspire new ideas' definitely does not include tuning your whole guitar down a half step.

OnlyinPinkerton said:
Yeah, maybe if tune into open D or something, but not in half-step. Nothing really changes in half step.

El Cheese Supremo said:

Yes drop D very effective.
At making power chords easy to play?

Pariyatti said:
Yes drop D very effective.
At giving a full sound. Your power chords of course have to accomodate the one string change but if you listen to bands like the Melvins, Kyuss, and a whole bunch others you can see they bring the heavy stool boom inducing riffs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video