Which do you prefer in Weezer albums? (see below for what albums were written in each tunings).

 

Why do you think Rivers switched up the tunings between albums?  I think he went standard tuning on Green because he was trying to be as poppy as possible, to "get his band back on the map".  I prefer half step down because I like how I sound singing it. 

 

I am basing this off of the Alubm tablature books:

1/2 Step Down:

Blue

Pinkerton

Make Believe

Red

Raditude

Hurly??? (don't know yet)

 

Standard Tuning:

Green Maladroit

Tags: 1/2, down, guitar, standard, step, tuning

Views: 2721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

easier to sing over and gives a heavier sound

OnlyinPinkerton said:
I really don't see many advantages with half step tuning.
no you're missing the point. they play everything the same as they did on the album, just they are always tuned half step down, so hash pipe still starts on what would be an A in standard, but it's G# instead



Gregor =w= Langbehn said:
I know that's true for Island in the Sun, but what about for Hash Pipe. That was is so much easier and natural to play in Standard Tuning because of the open note at the beginning of the main riff

next week's weather said:
they play everything half-step down live



Gregor =w= Langbehn said:
what are you basing this off of?

The guitar tab books for Blue, Pink, Make Believe, and Red are entirely in 1/2 step down. This can also be justified by which guitars the band uses on stage for each song.

Henri Armanda said:
standard and 1/2: Blue, Red, Raditude, Hurley
pure 1/2: Pinkerton, Make Believe
pure standard: Green, Maladroit
I prefer 1/2 step tuning. That's what rob Desmond uses. 


Gregor =w= Langbehn said:
what are you basing this off of?

The guitar tab books for Blue, Pink, Make Believe, and Red are entirely in 1/2 step down. This can also be justified by which guitars the band uses on stage for each song.

Henri Armanda said:
standard and 1/2: Blue, Red, Raditude, Hurley
pure 1/2: Pinkerton, Make Believe
pure standard: Green, Maladroit
No One Else is the sole track on Blue that's in Standard. Not sure about MB and Red.
Mood is important in tuning, as are other factors.
Tuning a half step down gives a guitar a different sound.
I get the feeling that Rivers likes it for a number of reasons, but you'd ultimately have to axe he and Badass Brian Bell about it to get a real answer.
actually they have modulated hashpipe to be a half step lower now-a-days and i'm pretty sure they modulated island in the sun to be a half step higher now...  which is a very interesting  thing...  when he played in in standard it started on an Em now he plays it on his SG tuned a 1/2 step down he starts it on an F#m they probably wanted to simplify it because during the enlightenment tour they had to switch guitars every other song basically. But its interesting how songs can evolve over time.
I think he uses 1/2 step down b/c its easier to sing and play in that tuning. when the guitar is down a 1/2 step its much easier to play because the strings are looser and easier to bend during solos and stuff. that's just my opinion tho
Personally I hate having to tune a half step down when playing weezer. But it does improve the sound. And yes, most of Hurley is half step down
yeah, wen you play 1/2 step down, it really has more of a UMMPHY sound to it. it just feels more weezerish.

hintofcoolness said:
easier to sing over and gives a heavier sound

OnlyinPinkerton said:
I really don't see many advantages with half step tuning.

sarah leeper said:

yeah, wen you play 1/2 step down, it really has more of a UMMPHY sound to it. it just feels more weezerish.

 

"Ummphy" sounds good.

why thank you.

Danielle said:

sarah leeper said:

yeah, wen you play 1/2 step down, it really has more of a UMMPHY sound to it. it just feels more weezerish.

 

"Ummphy" sounds good.

I guess my ear isn't refined enough to be able to hear the change in tone when in half step down, but like everyone says, I think it might be because the half step down is easier on the vocals.  I've tend to leave my guitar on half step down tuning when playing the standard tuned Weezer songs and other non Weez songs just to bring it to my vocal range.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video